Yes, the 2013 Utah Arts Festival is seven months away. If you’re a musician who wants to perform there, the time to start preparing is now.
The deadline for music acts applying to perform at the June outdoor event is Dec. 31.
All applications must be submitted online this year, so don’t just dump your demo tape at the door of UAF’s offices. (Does anyone still use tapes, or is The Cricket just showing his age?)
If you miss the Dec. 31 deadline, there’s still the chance to apply in January — but there’s a $5 late fee (which, for a larger band, may be more money than you make at an average gig).
Deadlines for other disciplines are as follows:
• Dance, Street Theater, & Literary Arts - Feb. 1, 2013.
• Commission for Chamber Ensemble - Feb. 4, 2013.
• Artist Marketplace/Visual Arts - Feb. 28, 2013 ($35 fee to apply to the show; artists who are juried in will pay a $500 booth fee, or $600 for corner booths).
• Culinary Arts - March 1, 2013 (Food vendors only).
• Fear No Film - March 1, 2013
• Mayor’s Artists Awards - March 1, 2013
The 37th annual Utah Arts Festival runs June 20-23 at Library Square in downtown Salt Lake City.
|1.||Mormon church traces black priesthood ban to Brigham Young|
|2.||Friends rally to help former Utah football star Bronzell Miller, given two weeks to live|
|3.||Few searchers remain in quest for 5 missing in central Idaho plane crash|
|4.||NSA head says metadata program key tool against terrorism|
|5.||Mitt Romney documentary a standout amid Sundance’s stars|
|6.||Real Salt Lake: Jason Kreis steps down as RSL coach|
|7.||All I want for Christmas is a new Christmas song|
|8.||Restaurant review: Menu misses at The Annex in Sugar House|
|9.||‘A Snow White Christmas’ brings new family tradition to Salt Lake City, panto style|
|10.||Holiday cocktails: Mixing it up with Sugar House Libations|