Yes, the 2013 Utah Arts Festival is seven months away. If you’re a musician who wants to perform there, the time to start preparing is now.
The deadline for music acts applying to perform at the June outdoor event is Dec. 31.
All applications must be submitted online this year, so don’t just dump your demo tape at the door of UAF’s offices. (Does anyone still use tapes, or is The Cricket just showing his age?)
If you miss the Dec. 31 deadline, there’s still the chance to apply in January — but there’s a $5 late fee (which, for a larger band, may be more money than you make at an average gig).
Deadlines for other disciplines are as follows:
• Dance, Street Theater, & Literary Arts - Feb. 1, 2013.
• Commission for Chamber Ensemble - Feb. 4, 2013.
• Artist Marketplace/Visual Arts - Feb. 28, 2013 ($35 fee to apply to the show; artists who are juried in will pay a $500 booth fee, or $600 for corner booths).
• Culinary Arts - March 1, 2013 (Food vendors only).
• Fear No Film - March 1, 2013
• Mayor’s Artists Awards - March 1, 2013
The 37th annual Utah Arts Festival runs June 20-23 at Library Square in downtown Salt Lake City.
|1.||Paul Rolly: Blogger fired from language school over ‘homophonia’|
|2.||TV preview: ‘Hell on Wheels’ mocks Mormons|
|3.||Take off your clothes to make it in reality TV|
|4.||Movie review: ‘Guardians of the Galaxy’ breaks the Marvel mold|
|5.||14 senators want Obama to create national monument in Utah|
|6.||‘Guardians of the Galaxy’ blasts Marvel in a different direction|
|7.||Polygamous trust fiduciary a witness in prostitution case|
|8.||Tennis: China’s Li Na pulls out of U.S. Open because of knee|
|9.||Sean P. Means: In battle of comic cons, Salt Lake is already winning|
|10.||Richard Linklater on making ‘Boyhood,’ a year at a time|