When the Sundance Film Festival’s competition slate drops — as it did on Wednesday — it’s always interesting to see the different things people get excited about. (And by people, The Cricket means the entertainment press.)
Here’s a sampling:
• The U.S. Dramatic competition films has female directors on eight of its 16 films, which is a record.
• The slate is already being sized up for the marketability of its films — with approving nods from the industry.
• Ooh, we get to see Harry Potter! Playing Allen Ginsberg!
• India will be well-represented at Sundance, with three films depicting facets of life in the world’s largest democracy.
• So will San Francisco, thanks to the Filmmaker360 program there.
• But, really, it all comes down to two things: Sex and comedy.
Now, imagine how much we’ll talk about once we actually see some of these movies.
|1.||Rock slide destroys home, kills two in Rockville|
|2.||Geminid meteor shower to put on a show Friday night|
|3.||Jazz ball boy’s Michael Jordan shoes fetch $105K at auction|
|4.||Scandal’s first charges: Shurtleff’s ‘fixer’ slapped with six felonies|
|5.||Review: Smaug alert: A fearsome dragon breathes fire into ‘Hobbit’|
|6.||Nu Skin co-founder accused of harassment|
|7.||Terrifying new footage shows July’s fatal Asiana airplane crash|
|8.||Utahn Tyson Apostol is oh so close to winning on ‘Survivor’|
|9.||Tip for Jesus? Ogden bar owner confirms PayPal’s Selby left $1K tip|
|10.||Montana newlywed pleads guilty to second-degree murder|