• Electro-rock performer Lights (the stage name of Valerie Poxleitner) plays tonight at The Complex, 536 W. 100 South, Salt Lake City. Opening act: Arkells. Show starts at 7. Tickets are $20, at Smith’s Tix.
• Ballet West launches its season with "The Lottery," Val Caniparoli’s work based on Shirley Jackson’s short story, tonight and Saturday at the Capitol Theatre, 50 W. 200 South, Salt Lake City. Show starts at 7:30 both nights, continuing Nov. 7-10 (with a 2 p.m. matinee on Nov. 10). Tickets, from $19 to $75, available at ArtTix.
• The Utah Symphony plays a program of Gershwin tunes, highlighted with "Rhapsody in Blue," tonight and Saturday at Abravanel Hall, 123 W. South Temple, Salt Lake City. Jerry Steichen conducts, with Jason Hardink on piano and soprano Lisa Vroman singing. Show starts at 8 p.m. both nights. Tickets available at ArtTix.
• Alt-rock bands Toadies and Helmet share the bill Saturday at The Depot, 400 W. South Temple, Salt Lake City. Opening act: Ume. Show starts at 7:45 p.m. Tickets are $20 in advance, $25 on the night of the show, at Smith’s Tix outlets.
• Self-described "hippy hop" performer Mod Sun plays Saturday at In the Venue, 219 W. 600 South, Salt Lake City. Show starts at 7. Tickets are $12 in advance, $15 on the day of the show, available at Smith’s Tix.
• "California Soul" band $17, at the venue’s website" target="_blank">The Mother Hips performs Saturday at The State Room, 638 S. State St., Salt Lake City. Opening act: Honey Pine. Show starts at 9. Tickets are $17, at the venue’s website.
|1.||Western lawmakers gather in Utah to talk federal land takeover|
|2.||Magnitude 3.2 earthquake jolts western Utah, USGS says|
|3.||Washington Insight: The Sagebrush Rebellion lives on with Nevada dispute|
|4.||Why all the hate for Salt Lake City’s new federal courthouse?|
|5.||Ex-NFL punter Chris Kluwe tells atheists to strive for empathy in Utah|
|6.||Hallelujah! Mormon Tabernacle Choir celebrates Easter with a powerful ‘Messiah’|
|7.||Salt Lake Comic Con FanX: In ‘cosplay,’ everybody can be anybody|
|8.||Utah realtors give ‘murder homes’ another life|
|9.||Utah same-sex marriage case could be thrown out on a technicality|
|10.||Utah Jazz sure of destination, unsure how they’ll get there|