• Electro-rock performer Lights (the stage name of Valerie Poxleitner) plays tonight at The Complex, 536 W. 100 South, Salt Lake City. Opening act: Arkells. Show starts at 7. Tickets are $20, at Smith’s Tix.
• Ballet West launches its season with "The Lottery," Val Caniparoli’s work based on Shirley Jackson’s short story, tonight and Saturday at the Capitol Theatre, 50 W. 200 South, Salt Lake City. Show starts at 7:30 both nights, continuing Nov. 7-10 (with a 2 p.m. matinee on Nov. 10). Tickets, from $19 to $75, available at ArtTix.
• The Utah Symphony plays a program of Gershwin tunes, highlighted with "Rhapsody in Blue," tonight and Saturday at Abravanel Hall, 123 W. South Temple, Salt Lake City. Jerry Steichen conducts, with Jason Hardink on piano and soprano Lisa Vroman singing. Show starts at 8 p.m. both nights. Tickets available at ArtTix.
• Alt-rock bands Toadies and Helmet share the bill Saturday at The Depot, 400 W. South Temple, Salt Lake City. Opening act: Ume. Show starts at 7:45 p.m. Tickets are $20 in advance, $25 on the night of the show, at Smith’s Tix outlets.
• Self-described "hippy hop" performer Mod Sun plays Saturday at In the Venue, 219 W. 600 South, Salt Lake City. Show starts at 7. Tickets are $12 in advance, $15 on the day of the show, available at Smith’s Tix.
• "California Soul" band $17, at the venue’s website" target="_blank">The Mother Hips performs Saturday at The State Room, 638 S. State St., Salt Lake City. Opening act: Honey Pine. Show starts at 9. Tickets are $17, at the venue’s website.
|1.||Family says police shot Utah man because he was black|
|2.||Utah Jazz: Derrick Favors is a grounded guy — and a Utahn|
|3.||Bear attack in Wyoming kills Utah man|
|4.||BYU football: Virginia suddenly looking formidable for No. 21 Cougars|
|5.||Martin MacNeill to serve up to 15 years for sexual abuse|
|6.||Kragthorpe: Brandon Doman moves on, from BYU to little league|
|7.||Utah man killed by police mourned at vigil, family questions cops’ story|
|8.||Paul Rolly: The Max Hall issue: It’s not black and white; it’s red and blue|
|9.||Utah author James Dashner getting the Hollywood treatment with ‘The Maze Runner’|
|10.||Former University of Utah President Chase Peterson dies|