• Electro-rock performer Lights (the stage name of Valerie Poxleitner) plays tonight at The Complex, 536 W. 100 South, Salt Lake City. Opening act: Arkells. Show starts at 7. Tickets are $20, at Smith’s Tix.
• Ballet West launches its season with "The Lottery," Val Caniparoli’s work based on Shirley Jackson’s short story, tonight and Saturday at the Capitol Theatre, 50 W. 200 South, Salt Lake City. Show starts at 7:30 both nights, continuing Nov. 7-10 (with a 2 p.m. matinee on Nov. 10). Tickets, from $19 to $75, available at ArtTix.
• The Utah Symphony plays a program of Gershwin tunes, highlighted with "Rhapsody in Blue," tonight and Saturday at Abravanel Hall, 123 W. South Temple, Salt Lake City. Jerry Steichen conducts, with Jason Hardink on piano and soprano Lisa Vroman singing. Show starts at 8 p.m. both nights. Tickets available at ArtTix.
• Alt-rock bands Toadies and Helmet share the bill Saturday at The Depot, 400 W. South Temple, Salt Lake City. Opening act: Ume. Show starts at 7:45 p.m. Tickets are $20 in advance, $25 on the night of the show, at Smith’s Tix outlets.
• Self-described "hippy hop" performer Mod Sun plays Saturday at In the Venue, 219 W. 600 South, Salt Lake City. Show starts at 7. Tickets are $12 in advance, $15 on the day of the show, available at Smith’s Tix.
• "California Soul" band $17, at the venue’s website" target="_blank">The Mother Hips performs Saturday at The State Room, 638 S. State St., Salt Lake City. Opening act: Honey Pine. Show starts at 9. Tickets are $17, at the venue’s website.
|1.||Western lands takeover: Former BLM chief, state lawmaker clash|
|2.||U.S. durable goods orders up 2.6 percent in March|
|3.||‘Bachelorette’ contestant dies in Utah paragliding accident|
|4.||Scott D. Pierce: Comedy Central let John Oliver get away|
|5.||Health Department closes West Valley Sports Bar|
|6.||Summer movie preview: 79 films to get you through August|
|7.||University of Utah says sorry for sperm mix-up; family not happy|
|8.||‘East Central’ Salt Lake City deemed one of best U.S. neighborhoods for young adults|
|9.||BYU student wins $40,000 for kolache machine invention|
|10.||Obama rule cuts coal dust in mines by 25%|