• The Utah Jazz plays its first pre-season home game, against the Oklahoma City Thunder, tonight at EnergySolutions Arena, 301 W. South Temple, Salt Lake City. Game starts at 7. Tickets, from $8 to $143, at Smith’s Tix.
• Utah Opera’s production of Verdi’s "Il Trovatore" debuts Saturday at the Capitol Theatre, 50 W. 200 South, Salt Lake City. The show starts at 7:30 (and repeats on Monday, Wednesday and next Friday, at 7:30 each night, with a 2 p.m. matinee on Sunday, Oct. 21). Tickets, from $13 to $78, available at ArtTix outlets.
• Local rock band New City Skyline celebrates the release of its debut album with a show Saturday at The Complex, 536 W. 100 South, Salt Lake City. Show starts at 7 p.m. Tickets are $10, at Smith’s Tix.
• The otherworldly electronic sounds of Shpongle come to life Saturday at In the Venue, 219 S. 600 West, Salt Lake City. Opening act: Phutureprimitive. Show starts at 8 p.m. Tickets are $25 in advance, $30 on the night of the show, at Smith’s Tix outlets.
• Rapper Yelawolf performs Sunday at In the Venue, 219 S. 600 West, Salt Lake City. Opening acts: Rittz, Trouble Andrew, DJ Vajra, Prof. Show starts at 7 p.m. Tickets are $18 in advance, $20 on the day of the show, available at Smith’s Tix.
|1.||Orem police track down stolen ring to a gut-wrenching place|
|2.||The vibe is back in downtown Salt Lake City|
|3.||BYU football: ‘Embarrassed’ Texas looks forward to Cougars’ visit|
|4.||Utah State football: Chuckie-for-Heisman hinges on opener|
|5.||New downtown Salt Lake City bicycle track worries small businesses|
|6.||Dennis Nordfelt dies at 71; led UHP and West Valley City|
|7.||Islamist militia guarding U.S. Embassy in Tripoli|
|8.||USU Football: Tennessee beats Utah State 38-7|
|9.||Utah Football: Vegas thinks Fresno State may be match for Utes|
|10.||Former Utah DL Tenny Palepoi makes San Diego Chargers roster; other ex-Utes less fortunate|