Utah's most patriotic hiking: American Fork Canyon
For a state full of people who love their country, Utah doesn't have many flag-waving trails.
There's no Freedom Trail or Liberty Pathway. We do have a Washington County. Millard County and its seat are named for President Millard Fillmore, but I don't know of any trails named for either him or George Washington.
What we do have is American Fork Canyon. It's full of some of the best hiking trails in the state. The canyon, on the north edge of Utah County, is an easy drive for the majority of Utahns.
So in honor of Independence Day, here are some trails you can hike in Utah's most patriotic canyon.
• Silver Lake: 4-mile round trip
• Tibble Fork/Mill Canyon trails: 7-mile round trip
• Pine Hollow: 3.6-mile round trip
• Timpooneke Trail to Emerald Lake: 12.9-mile round trip
• Alpine Loop Road: 5.7-mile round trip
• Forest Lake: 3.8-mile round trip