More than 1,000 readers so far have shared their choices for Utahn of the Year using our online poll, which remains active.
We’ve noticed active social media campaigns aimed at getting a few of the 17 individuals or groups on our list more votes, and those efforts show in the results so far.
As of Tuesday morning, Dan Farr, who brought the inaugural Comic Con fan convention to Salt Lake City in September, leads the polling, followed closely by the "hero beavers," who are credited with mitigating the environmental effects of a diesel spill at Willard Bay through the dam they built that stopped the spill from reaching the reservoir.
Salt Lake County District Attorney Sim Gill is in third place.
In addition to input from the poll, the column soliciting reader votes had nearly 170 comments as of Tuesday morning. I’ve also received numerous emails.
Readers have suggested some excellent additions to our list. They include:
• The six who filed suit this year against Utah’s Amendment 3 preventing same-sex marriage in the state: Karen Archer, Kate Call, Derek Kitchen, Moudi Sbeity, Laurie Wood and Kody Partridge.
• Kennecott Copper Chief Executive Kelly Sanders, who managed the team that kept workers safe during the largest wall failure in mining history.
• Maryann Martindale and the Alliance for a Better Utah
• Members of the Salt Lake City Council and Mayor Ralph Becker
• Gun rights advocate Clark Aposhian
• Community and low-income housing developer Mark Lundgren
• Nick Moyes, owner of UtahGunExchange.com.
• Gov. Gary Herbert
• Tribune reporters Robert Gehrke and Tom Harvey
• LDS Apostle Boyd K. Packer
Tribune editors ultimately will decide who to name our Utahn of the Year based on our criteria, which calls for us to identify the Utahn who most shaped the news in 2013, leaving an indelible mark on our state.
Meanwhile, keep your votes coming.
We’ll include a summary of reader input when we announce our selection on Christmas Day.
|1.||Utah to BLM: Rein in your cops|
|2.||BYU football: Virginia linebacker says Taysom Hill will win the Heisman|
|3.||After Darrien Hunt shooting, Utah’s black, biracial families worry|
|4.||Fall TV preview: The best and worst of fall TV|
|5.||BYU football: Undefeated Cougars climb to No. 20 in AP Poll|
|6.||Kirby: What if I had two Moms — or two Old Mans?|
|7.||Mountain lion caught near homes in Salt Lake City|
|8.||Utah Football: Utes beat Michigan 26-10|
|9.||Salt Lake Airport seeks to break up monopoly|
|10.||Monson: BYU is imperfect and undefeated (VIDEO)|