Get breaking news alerts via email

Click here to manage your alerts
Notes from the newsroom
Lisa Carricaburu
Lisa Carricaburu is managing editor of The Salt Lake Tribune. She encourages reader comments and questions about sltrib.com and The Tribune's print edition in the comments section of this blog, at lisac@sltrib.com or on Twitter: @lcarricaburu.

» Subscribe (RSS)

Reporting the Joseph Paul Franklin story in real time

The state of Missouri declared Joseph Paul Franklin dead at 5:17 a.m. MST Wednesday.

It wasn’t long before the sltrib.com webmaster began receiving emails from readers wondering why we hadn’t yet updated our story about the serial killer, whose deadly path included Salt Lake City, where he killed 18-year-old David Martin and 20-year-old Ted Fields as they were leaving Liberty Park on Aug. 20, 1980.

Join the Discussion
Post a Comment

This is the world we live in nowadays.

Readers expect us to deliver news immediately, and we do our best to accommodate.

In the case of Franklin’s execution, we were relying on the Associated Press in Missouri, which moved a one-sentence alert at 5:23 a.m., and a brief story at 5:27 a.m.

Do we wish we had posted the story online immediately after AP moved it? Of course.

The reality is that we guessed wrong, not thinking Missouri would execute Franklin so early Wednesday with two federal judges having issued stays that still were in place at our 11:20 p.m. Tuesday print deadline.

Our first online reporter/editor arrived at his usual 6 a.m. start time and posted our first Franklin story as soon as he was able.

By 8:30 a.m., the story had already been updated multiple times to include photos, more detail about the execution, information about his Utah crimes, perspective from a Utah victim’s family and links to an interactive timeline and the court rulings that ultimately Franklin’s fate.

Franklin had been scheduled for execution at 12:01 a.m. Wednesday before the stays were ordered.

In the preceding hours Tuesday, we updated the Franklin story at sltrib.com 15 times as we received court ruling updates and reaction from Franklin victims and their families from reporter Brooke Adams and correspondent Peg McEntee.

Adams and photographer Scott Sommerdorf were in Mississippi Wednesday with Johnnie Mae Martin, the mother of Salt Lake City victim David Martin.

They’ll continue to report the story, and we’ll continue to update it throughout the day before a final version is prepared for Thursday’s print edition.

Copyright 2014 The Salt Lake Tribune. All rights reserved. This material may not be published, broadcast, rewritten or redistributed.

Top Reader Comments Read All Comments Post a Comment
Click here to read all comments   Click here to post a comment

About Reader Comments

Reader comments on sltrib.com are the opinions of the writer, not The Salt Lake Tribune. We will delete comments containing obscenities, personal attacks and inappropriate or offensive remarks. Flagrant or repeat violators will be banned. If you see an objectionable comment, please alert us by clicking the arrow on the upper right side of the comment and selecting "Flag comment as inappropriate". If you've recently registered with Disqus or aren't seeing your comments immediately, you may need to verify your email address. To do so, visit disqus.com/account.
See more about comments here.
  • Search Obituaries
  • Place an Obituary

  • Search Cars
  • Search Homes
  • Search Jobs
  • Search Marketplace
  • Search Legal Notices

  • Other Services
  • Advertise With Us
  • Subscribe to the Newspaper
  • Access your e-Edition
  • Frequently Asked Questions
  • Contact a newsroom staff member
  • Access the Trib Archives
  • Privacy Policy
  • Missing your paper? Need to place your paper on vacation hold? For this and any other subscription related needs, click here or call 801.204.6100.