Republican National Convention speeches, reported and anticipated:
— Mia Love’s moment: An introduction on a big stage - Salt Lake Tribune Editorial
Mia Love is a symbol. And in politics, that’s not necessarily a pejorative or a bad thing, because politics is about symbols, good as well as bad.
If elected to Congress from Utah’s new 4th District, Love would become the first black woman Republican to hold a seat in the U.S. House of Representatives. She also is an LDS woman, the mayor of a small Utah suburban town and the daughter of Haitian immigrants, so she fills multiple symbolic roles, most of them about diversity and aspiration.
That’s why she was invited to address the Republican National Convention Tuesday evening, a convention that has nominated another Mormon, Mitt Romney, to be its presidential candidate. ...
- Love’s leap to fame - Provo Daily Herald Editorial
... Let’s not mince words: Love was spectacular. She had the audience eating out of her hand. ...
- Straight talk for America - Provo Daily Herald Editorial
- Paul Ryan, agent of change - San Diego U-T Editorial
- Mr. Ryan’s misleading speech - Washington Post Editorial
- The Lies and Lies and Lies of Paul Ryan - Andrew Sullivan, The Daily Beast
- Romney’s lies about welfare reform part of new strategy of division - San Jose Mercury News Editorial
- Enough of the Chris Christie fat jokes - Los Angeles Daily News Editorial
- Romney accepts the nomination - Ogden Standard-Examiner Editorial
... Perhaps the most important goal for Romney in his speech is to create a connection between himself and the voters. The former Massachusetts governor has a reputation as a very competent business leader who can solve problems. He’s pitching that business acumen and expertise as a promise that he can fix the dreary economy. However, he also comes across as aloof, robotic, impersonal and, as super-wealthy, out of touch with most Americans. It will be interesting to observe Romney’s speech, and see how viewers respond to it. ...
Tonight: Mitt Speaks. Stay tuned.
|1.||Bingham High students walk out over school dance dress code|
|2.||Utah to BLM: Rein in your cops|
|3.||Tests confirm virus making kids very ill is in Utah|
|4.||In Utah’s same-sex marriage debate, should the children be off limits?|
|5.||Meet the maestro of Utah’s TV chefs|
|6.||Prep football: Is Jordan QB Austin Kafentzis Utah’s best ever?|
|7.||Cougar released back into the wild after SLC adventure|
|8.||Mormon leaders spread word about controversial essays|
|9.||Restaurant review: Dim sum dining in the heart of Salt Lake|