Republican National Convention speeches, reported and anticipated:
— Mia Love’s moment: An introduction on a big stage - Salt Lake Tribune Editorial
Mia Love is a symbol. And in politics, that’s not necessarily a pejorative or a bad thing, because politics is about symbols, good as well as bad.
If elected to Congress from Utah’s new 4th District, Love would become the first black woman Republican to hold a seat in the U.S. House of Representatives. She also is an LDS woman, the mayor of a small Utah suburban town and the daughter of Haitian immigrants, so she fills multiple symbolic roles, most of them about diversity and aspiration.
That’s why she was invited to address the Republican National Convention Tuesday evening, a convention that has nominated another Mormon, Mitt Romney, to be its presidential candidate. ...
- Love’s leap to fame - Provo Daily Herald Editorial
... Let’s not mince words: Love was spectacular. She had the audience eating out of her hand. ...
- Straight talk for America - Provo Daily Herald Editorial
- Paul Ryan, agent of change - San Diego U-T Editorial
- Mr. Ryan’s misleading speech - Washington Post Editorial
- The Lies and Lies and Lies of Paul Ryan - Andrew Sullivan, The Daily Beast
- Romney’s lies about welfare reform part of new strategy of division - San Jose Mercury News Editorial
- Enough of the Chris Christie fat jokes - Los Angeles Daily News Editorial
- Romney accepts the nomination - Ogden Standard-Examiner Editorial
... Perhaps the most important goal for Romney in his speech is to create a connection between himself and the voters. The former Massachusetts governor has a reputation as a very competent business leader who can solve problems. He’s pitching that business acumen and expertise as a promise that he can fix the dreary economy. However, he also comes across as aloof, robotic, impersonal and, as super-wealthy, out of touch with most Americans. It will be interesting to observe Romney’s speech, and see how viewers respond to it. ...
Tonight: Mitt Speaks. Stay tuned.
|1.||Western lawmakers gather in Utah to talk federal land takeover|
|2.||Health care site flagged in Heartbleed review|
|3.||Utah same-sex marriage case could be thrown out on a technicality|
|4.||Salt Lake Comic Con FanX: In ‘cosplay,’ everybody can be anybody|
|5.||Scott D. Pierce: Bill O’Reilly thinks right-wingers are idiots|
|6.||Magnitude 3.2 earthquake jolts western Utah, USGS says|
|7.||Ex-NFL punter Chris Kluwe tells atheists to strive for empathy in Utah|
|8.||Northern Utah toddler accidentally shot with rifle dies|
|9.||Swallow warrants went to Google, Yahoo and Apple|
|10.||Signs say you aren’t ready to be married|