Above: Ad for West End edition of 'Wicked.' I think they added some special effects for TV. (And, anybody else think their Glenda looks a little old for the part?)
- Performing arts: New theater now on track - Salt Lake Tribune Editorial
The Salt Lake County Council made the right move in joining Salt Lake City’s effort to bring a 2,500-seat Utah Performing Arts Center to the capital’s downtown.
Although the funding partnership that calls for the county to contribute $28.2 million to the $110 million project is contingent on the two entities signing a pact that lets the county operate the new venue, the deal is nearly, and rightly, done. ...
... The large theater has been called a "Broadway-style" theater, but it is nothing of the sort. Most theaters on Broadway are small, intimate spaces, not auditoriums seating thousands. The UPAC would be a suitable venue for touring Broadway shows that are best produced on a large stage to a large audience. Think "Lion King," "Wicked" and other popular musicals that would draw not only from across the county but out of state as well. [Read the rest ...]
So much for the Mainstream Media getting its act together:
- Broadway-style theater will elevate life in the city - Deseret News Editorial
- Radioactive choice: Senate right to delay confirmation - Salt Lake Tribune Editorial
Given that the decisions to be made will have an impact on Utah for thousands of years to come, waiting a month to vote on the makeup of the state’s new Radiation Control Board seems reasonable. ...
- Gov. Otter might not be up to the task on nuke waste - Idaho Falls Post-Register Editorial (via Idaho Statesman)
- Hanford's B Reactor: A park haunted by the 20th century - Tacoma (Wash.) News-Tribune Editorial
- Oil giant Tesoro OK with a certain kind of California 'green' - Sacramento Bee Editorial
- HOV lanes: Illegal use is also dangerous - Salt Lake Tribune Editorial
- Drivers need to heed rules of road - Prescott (Ariz.) Daily Courier Editorial
- Don’t deport: Cut some young aliens a break - Salt Lake Tribune Editorial
- Brewer visits sins of parents on their children - (Tucson) Arizona Daily Star Editorial
Gov. Jan Brewer has been described as being anti-Latino, credited with making Arizona an international laughingstock and embarrassing our state with her performance as governor and her ideological stands. ...
- As reform languishes, immigrants left in limbo - Spokane Spokesman-Review Editorial
|1.||SLC makes list in bid for Democratic Convention|
|2.||Coach: Man shot at Utah courthouse once had promising future|
|3.||Turkish ‘street food with a twist’ takes a spin in Salt Lake City|
|4.||Gang defendant shot, killed at new Salt Lake City federal courthouse|
|5.||Student leaders tell University of Utah president to change ‘Utah Man’ fight song|
|6.||Shurtleff responds to report critical of his conduct in Jenson case|
|7.||Winds wreaking havoc in northern, western Utah|
|8.||BBB: Cancer fund spent only 8 percent of money on patients|
|9.||Monson: Jim Boylen to kill — err, coach — the Jazz?|
|10.||MLB: AL capsules and gallery|