- Gun laws: Presidential candidates fall short - Salt Lake Tribune Editorial
It used to be that Social Security was the third rail of American politics. Touch it and an elected official risked electrocution. Now that issue is guns.
- Take stand on guns: Neither Obama, Romney willing to act after tragedy - Eugene (Ore.) Register-Guard Editorial
- Mr. Obama, Mr. Romney, break your silence on guns - David Kushma, The Toledo Blade
- Unusual secrecy in Aurora shooting case - Denver Post Editorial
The court system has dropped an impenetrable veil over what should be transparent proceedings.
- Knee-jerk reaction. Accent on 'jerk'. - St. Louis Post-Dispatch
- Charity care: A case for the individual mandate - Salt Lake Tribune Editorial
The mass shooting in Colorado has hospitalized dozens of victims, many of them young adults. Because one of the largest groups of Americans without health insurance is young adults between the ages of 18 and 34, chances are high that many of these victims are uninsured.
Hospitals treating 22 of those people announced the other day that they would limit or forgive many of their medical bills. That’s a wonderful thing.
But the situation highlights a gap in health insurance coverage that the Affordable Care Act, otherwise known as Obamacare, is designed to address. It also helps to make the case for the individual mandate. [Read the rest ...]
- Voice of the people: People have a right to proclaim - Salt Lake Tribune Editorial
City councils, state legislatures, even Congress, approve symbolic, boosterish, cute, honorific and, often, meaningless proclamations and pronouncements just about every day.
It seems odd that, in a state where the Constitution formally proclaims that the legislative power also belongs to the people, anyone would think that the power to approve such statements of support or sentiment doesn’t belong to the people as well. [Read the rest ...]
|1.||Blood found on teen arrested in deaths of 2 adopted brothers|
|2.||Recording reveals Mark Shurtleff’s ‘bizarro’ $2 million offer|
|3.||Planes, trains and orangutans: 12 distinctly Utah things to do this summer|
|4.||Police raid live sex show in Syracuse, arrest six|
|5.||Police locate missing Davis County teen after 2 brothers found dead|
|6.||Utah painter McNaughton’s latest work, ‘Liberalism is a Disease’|
|7.||Movie review: ‘Hangover Part III’ more violent, less funny|
|8.||First time ever, University of Utah student president impeached|
|9.||Scott D. Pierce: Is it brave for Matt Damon to play gay?|
|10.||University of Utah graduate wins sports-trivia contest on ESPNU|