We are pondering our editorial reaction to President Obama's order ending deportation orders for, and granting work permits to, the children of illegal immigrants who were brought into this country before they were 16. [Among other requirements.]
While you are waiting for the main course, a sampler platter of opinions from other editorialists:
- The DREAM Act directive is far less than what it seems - Deseret News Editorial
- It's a baby step toward solution - Arizona Republic Editorial
- A welcome move on immigration - Santa Fe New Mexican Editorial
- President nudges immigration policy in proper direction - St. Louis Post-Dispatch Editorial
- Obama's new immigration policy -- Dream Act lite -- is a step forward - San Jose Mercury-News Editorial
- An immigration step, with more to take - Charlotte Observer Editorial
... "These are young people who study in our schools, they play in our neighborhoods, they’re friends with our kids, they pledge allegiance to our flag," Obama said. "They are Americans in their heart, in their minds, in every single way but one: on paper." ...
- Deportation protection for those who dare to DREAM - Seattle Times Editorial
- A DREAM Act workaround - Chicago Tribune Editorial
Until Congress can agree on immigration reforms, this will have to do.
- Immigration policy by executive order - Los Angeles Times Editorial
President Obama's announcement that he will temporarily halt the deportation of some young students and veterans who are in this country illegally is a step that is in some respects worrisome — and yet one he's right to take.
- Obama takes big 1st step toward immigration reform - San Francisco Chronicle Editorial
- Obama moves toward coherence on immigration - Los Angeles Daily News Editorial
- The president is not the king - San Diego Union-Tribune Editorial
This editorial page has long supported smarter, forward-thinking immigration policies such as those ordered by the Obama administration Friday. ...
... However, this editorial page has also long held that there are constitutional limits on the power of the president. ...
|1.||Photos: Taylor Swift dominates Billboard Awards, Bieber awards draw boos|
|2.||Kirby: What would you let money do to you?|
|3.||Utah police close active Susan Powell investigation|
|4.||At least 20 children among the 51 killed in Oklahoma tornado|
|5.||Founding Doors member Ray Manzarek dies at 74|
|6.||Kragthorpe: Chickening out? Bronco won’t say so, but why not?|
|7.||‘Star Trek’ does $70.6M but falls short of studio hopes|
|8.||Hatch wants immigrant fingerprints taken at airports|
|9.||Mormon movie soundtrack a historical journey for Utah composer Paul Cardall|
|10.||Utah Jazz: Long odds separate Jazz from top of lottery|