Yesterday, voters in North Carolina said no to same-sex marriage.
- Same-sex marriage amendment vote is just wrong - Charlotte Observer Editorial
- California, N.C.: Anti-gay-marriage soulmates - Los Angeles Daily News Editorial
Today, President Obama said yes.
- The President Speaks Out (Finally) on Marriage - Andrew Rosenthal, The New York Times
- Obama comes out for same-sex marriage, world ends - Alexandra Petri, The Washington Post
- Obama lets go of fear - Andrew Sullivan, The Daily Beast
- I am gobsmacked - E.J. Graff, The American Prospect
- President Obama and gay marriage -- it's about time - Stephen Henderson, The Detroit Free Press
I was trying to think of a strong historical analogy for President Barack Obama's sudden embrace of gay marriage this week, and the best I could come up with (thanks to my colleagues on the Free Press editorial board) was 1939, when First Lady Eleanor Roosevelt arranged for singer Marian Anderson to perform on the steps of the Lincoln Memorial. That was after the Daughters of the American Revolution had prevented the renowned Anderson, who was African American, from singing for an integrated audience at Constitution Hall.
Didn't change the legal landscape. Wasn't decisive in ending segregation.
But it was a bold, emblazoned embrace of the concept of equality. And it was an outsized gesture from the president's bully pulpit, something that undoubtedly gave strength to the growing notion that government-sanctioned racial segregation was unacceptable. ...
As of now, only the North Carolina vote has the force of law anywhere. Obama's "evolution" is, technically, just one man's opinion.
But, I wonder, which of these events will be little noted and not long remembered?
|1.||Paul Rolly: Blogger fired from language school over ‘homophonia’|
|2.||TV preview: ‘Hell on Wheels’ mocks Mormons|
|3.||Movie review: ‘Guardians of the Galaxy’ breaks the Marvel mold|
|4.||Utah Jazz have plenty of cap space, decisions ahead|
|5.||Sean P. Means: In battle of comic cons, Salt Lake is already winning|
|6.||Take off your clothes to make it in reality TV|
|7.||Richard Linklater on making ‘Boyhood,’ a year at a time|
|8.||Utah Jazz: Michigan man sues Burke, Shaq for defamation|
|9.||Work begins on final office building at Lehi’s tech hub|
|10.||Tennis: China’s Li Na pulls out of U.S. Open because of knee|