Yesterday, voters in North Carolina said no to same-sex marriage.
- Same-sex marriage amendment vote is just wrong - Charlotte Observer Editorial
- California, N.C.: Anti-gay-marriage soulmates - Los Angeles Daily News Editorial
Today, President Obama said yes.
- The President Speaks Out (Finally) on Marriage - Andrew Rosenthal, The New York Times
- Obama comes out for same-sex marriage, world ends - Alexandra Petri, The Washington Post
- Obama lets go of fear - Andrew Sullivan, The Daily Beast
- I am gobsmacked - E.J. Graff, The American Prospect
- President Obama and gay marriage -- it's about time - Stephen Henderson, The Detroit Free Press
I was trying to think of a strong historical analogy for President Barack Obama's sudden embrace of gay marriage this week, and the best I could come up with (thanks to my colleagues on the Free Press editorial board) was 1939, when First Lady Eleanor Roosevelt arranged for singer Marian Anderson to perform on the steps of the Lincoln Memorial. That was after the Daughters of the American Revolution had prevented the renowned Anderson, who was African American, from singing for an integrated audience at Constitution Hall.
Didn't change the legal landscape. Wasn't decisive in ending segregation.
But it was a bold, emblazoned embrace of the concept of equality. And it was an outsized gesture from the president's bully pulpit, something that undoubtedly gave strength to the growing notion that government-sanctioned racial segregation was unacceptable. ...
As of now, only the North Carolina vote has the force of law anywhere. Obama's "evolution" is, technically, just one man's opinion.
But, I wonder, which of these events will be little noted and not long remembered?
|1.||No, Mormon temples aren’t getting out of the marriage business|
|2.||Pac-12 round-up: Oregon back in the driver's seat after Week 8 win|
|3.||Waterless subdivision in Saratoga Springs spurs criminal charges|
|4.||Church posts pictures, video explaining Mormon ‘garments’|
|5.||Officials issue urgent plea for 4.7M vehicle owners to fix air bag problem|
|6.||Bagley Cartoon: Mia Love’s Talking Points|
|7.||NHL: Kings’ Voynov suspended on domestic violence suspicion|
|8.||Partial solar eclipse to take a bite out of the sun Thursday afternoon|
|9.||Utah Jazz: Lakers beat Jazz as fringe players fight for roster spots|