Yesterday, voters in North Carolina said no to same-sex marriage.
- Same-sex marriage amendment vote is just wrong - Charlotte Observer Editorial
- California, N.C.: Anti-gay-marriage soulmates - Los Angeles Daily News Editorial
Today, President Obama said yes.
- The President Speaks Out (Finally) on Marriage - Andrew Rosenthal, The New York Times
- Obama comes out for same-sex marriage, world ends - Alexandra Petri, The Washington Post
- Obama lets go of fear - Andrew Sullivan, The Daily Beast
- I am gobsmacked - E.J. Graff, The American Prospect
- President Obama and gay marriage -- it's about time - Stephen Henderson, The Detroit Free Press
I was trying to think of a strong historical analogy for President Barack Obama's sudden embrace of gay marriage this week, and the best I could come up with (thanks to my colleagues on the Free Press editorial board) was 1939, when First Lady Eleanor Roosevelt arranged for singer Marian Anderson to perform on the steps of the Lincoln Memorial. That was after the Daughters of the American Revolution had prevented the renowned Anderson, who was African American, from singing for an integrated audience at Constitution Hall.
Didn't change the legal landscape. Wasn't decisive in ending segregation.
But it was a bold, emblazoned embrace of the concept of equality. And it was an outsized gesture from the president's bully pulpit, something that undoubtedly gave strength to the growing notion that government-sanctioned racial segregation was unacceptable. ...
As of now, only the North Carolina vote has the force of law anywhere. Obama's "evolution" is, technically, just one man's opinion.
But, I wonder, which of these events will be little noted and not long remembered?
|1.||Blood found on teen arrested in deaths of 2 adopted brothers|
|2.||Secret recording: Mark Shurtleff offers $2 million to silence critic|
|3.||Alleged cop killer Matthew Stewart hangs self in jail cell|
|4.||Weekend Express: 11 things to do in Utah on Memorial Day weekend|
|5.||First time ever, University of Utah student president impeached|
|6.||Planes, trains and orangutans: 12 distinctly Utah things to do this summer|
|7.||Watch Amanda Bynes get arrested in NYC on marijuana charge (VIDEO)|
|8.||Does Costco save you money?|
|9.||A first: GOP lawmaker calls for Utah A.G. John Swallow to resign|
|10.||Utah painter McNaughton’s latest work, ‘Liberalism is a Disease’|