Yesterday, voters in North Carolina said no to same-sex marriage.
- Same-sex marriage amendment vote is just wrong - Charlotte Observer Editorial
- California, N.C.: Anti-gay-marriage soulmates - Los Angeles Daily News Editorial
Today, President Obama said yes.
- The President Speaks Out (Finally) on Marriage - Andrew Rosenthal, The New York Times
- Obama comes out for same-sex marriage, world ends - Alexandra Petri, The Washington Post
- Obama lets go of fear - Andrew Sullivan, The Daily Beast
- I am gobsmacked - E.J. Graff, The American Prospect
- President Obama and gay marriage -- it's about time - Stephen Henderson, The Detroit Free Press
I was trying to think of a strong historical analogy for President Barack Obama's sudden embrace of gay marriage this week, and the best I could come up with (thanks to my colleagues on the Free Press editorial board) was 1939, when First Lady Eleanor Roosevelt arranged for singer Marian Anderson to perform on the steps of the Lincoln Memorial. That was after the Daughters of the American Revolution had prevented the renowned Anderson, who was African American, from singing for an integrated audience at Constitution Hall.
Didn't change the legal landscape. Wasn't decisive in ending segregation.
But it was a bold, emblazoned embrace of the concept of equality. And it was an outsized gesture from the president's bully pulpit, something that undoubtedly gave strength to the growing notion that government-sanctioned racial segregation was unacceptable. ...
As of now, only the North Carolina vote has the force of law anywhere. Obama's "evolution" is, technically, just one man's opinion.
But, I wonder, which of these events will be little noted and not long remembered?
|1.||Obama’s order protects gay workers; Hatch wants religious exemption|
|2.||Clinton earns $12M in 16 months|
|3.||Tesla idles Calif. plant to retool for electric SUV|
|4.||Carlino (finally) talks about reason he left BYU|
|5.||Concert review: ‘Frozen’ prince charms crowd in Tabernacle Choir’s summer show|
|6.||Black Mormon pioneers — a rich but forgotten legacy of faith|
|7.||Scott D. Pierce: ‘Breaking Bad’ named TCA’s Program of Year|
|8.||Film, TV legend James Garner, reluctant hero, dies|
|9.||Two brothers from Utah died in Arizona Strip plane crash|
|10.||NASA names building for Neil Armstrong|