Above: Let the Sunshine in.
- Transparency test: Student project a good lesson - Salt Lake Tribune Editorial
Transparency in government is like riding a bicycle, or playing the piano. It can be difficult at first. But with enough practice, and a little help from a good teacher, it can become routine, even effortless.
And transparency in government should be as effortless as possible, both for those who manage the more than 270 local government units in Utah, and for their citizens.
That’s the approach taken by the new Utah Transparency Project, a study, website and set of best practices thought up and fleshed out by a few students in the University of Utah honors Think Tank program. ...
- Penalties in Texas open meetings law needed to ensure compliance - Lubbock (Texas) Avalanche-Journal Editorial
- Legislative session good for open-government law - Athens (Ga.) Banner-Herald Editorial
- Provo River delta: Planning a worthwhile project - Salt Lake Tribune Editorial
The project to restore the Provo River delta can be summed up this way: It’s not about saving an ugly fish. It’s about restoring an ecosystem.
Nevertheless, the effort to save the endangered June sucker (the ugly fish) is driving the project. The sucker was listed as endangered in 1986, and under the Endangered Species Act, federal agencies are obliged to try to save it. An essential element of that program is to recreate a Provo River delta on the east side of Utah Lake so that larvae from fish that spawn in the river can survive to adulthood and re-enter the lake. ...
- A soaring success story - Eugene (Ore.) Register-Guard Editorial
The Endangered Species Act is a law that succeeds when it isn’t needed anymore. In the case of the bald eagle, that standard of success has been met. ...
- A simple truth worth repeating: Water is scarce - Reddingg (Calif.) Record-Searchlight Editorial
|1.||Tour de France: Playful Pole wins 17th stage, as overall leader Nibali marches on|
|2.||7 surprises in the Mormon pioneer diet|
|3.||This is the place for facts you might not know about Mormon pioneers|
|4.||Bagley Cartoon: Future of Utah Lands|
|5.||BYU football: Ex-Ute Langi's mom says he's still undecided|
|6.||Pac-12 Media Days Live: Orchard dreams of playing offense, too|
|7.||Faith, business groups blast proposed fee on solar-equipped homes|
|8.||Where to watch fireworks on Pioneer Day|
|9.||More than 100K Utahns to get refunds from health insurers|