Above: Let the Sunshine in.
- Transparency test: Student project a good lesson - Salt Lake Tribune Editorial
Transparency in government is like riding a bicycle, or playing the piano. It can be difficult at first. But with enough practice, and a little help from a good teacher, it can become routine, even effortless.
And transparency in government should be as effortless as possible, both for those who manage the more than 270 local government units in Utah, and for their citizens.
That’s the approach taken by the new Utah Transparency Project, a study, website and set of best practices thought up and fleshed out by a few students in the University of Utah honors Think Tank program. ...
- Penalties in Texas open meetings law needed to ensure compliance - Lubbock (Texas) Avalanche-Journal Editorial
- Legislative session good for open-government law - Athens (Ga.) Banner-Herald Editorial
- Provo River delta: Planning a worthwhile project - Salt Lake Tribune Editorial
The project to restore the Provo River delta can be summed up this way: It’s not about saving an ugly fish. It’s about restoring an ecosystem.
Nevertheless, the effort to save the endangered June sucker (the ugly fish) is driving the project. The sucker was listed as endangered in 1986, and under the Endangered Species Act, federal agencies are obliged to try to save it. An essential element of that program is to recreate a Provo River delta on the east side of Utah Lake so that larvae from fish that spawn in the river can survive to adulthood and re-enter the lake. ...
- A soaring success story - Eugene (Ore.) Register-Guard Editorial
The Endangered Species Act is a law that succeeds when it isn’t needed anymore. In the case of the bald eagle, that standard of success has been met. ...
- A simple truth worth repeating: Water is scarce - Reddingg (Calif.) Record-Searchlight Editorial
|1.||No, Mormon temples aren’t getting out of the marriage business|
|2.||Poll: Most Utahns against same-sex marriage, but opposition declining|
|3.||Church posts pictures, video explaining Mormon ‘garments’|
|4.||Pac-12 round-up: Oregon back in the driver's seat after Week 8 win|
|5.||Officials issue urgent plea for 4.7M vehicle owners to fix air bag problem|
|6.||BYU football: Cougars say they’re still behind Mendenhall (with video)|
|7.||Partial solar eclipse to take a bite out of the sun Thursday afternoon|
|8.||Climber takes deadly fall in Zion National Park|
|9.||Utah police chief accused of stalking makes first court appearance|