Get breaking news alerts via email

Click here to manage your alerts
Utah Crime & Courts
Tribune Justice Reporters
By Tribune Justice Reporters

Subscribe (RSS)

Crime victims fund gets assist from lawmakers

Utah lawmakers took action this session to ensure a fund used to help victims of violent crime doesn’t run out of money any time soon.

By approving SB259, lawmakers ended a nearly decade-long practice of using the crime victims reparations fund to cover administrative costs of the Commission on Criminal and Juvenile Justice. The commission will now receive money from the state’s general fund.

Join the Discussion
Post a Comment

Several criminal justice and substance abuse grant programs overseen by the commission also were moved to the general fund.

As a result, slightly more than $2 million — money from fines, fees and assessments charged to people who commit violent crimes — will no longer be drained from the reparation trust account administered by the Office for Victims of Crime. The account currently has a reserve balance of about $1 million.

The office’s operating budget was projected to have a $2.5 million shortfall this year.

The office uses the money to assist crime victims with such things as mental health counseling, medical care, funeral costs and relocation expenses.

— Brooke Adams

Twitter: @Brooke4Trib

Copyright 2014 The Salt Lake Tribune. All rights reserved. This material may not be published, broadcast, rewritten or redistributed.

Top Reader Comments Read All Comments Post a Comment
Click here to read all comments   Click here to post a comment

About Reader Comments

Reader comments on sltrib.com are the opinions of the writer, not The Salt Lake Tribune. We will delete comments containing obscenities, personal attacks and inappropriate or offensive remarks. Flagrant or repeat violators will be banned. If you see an objectionable comment, please alert us by clicking the arrow on the upper right side of the comment and selecting "Flag comment as inappropriate". If you've recently registered with Disqus or aren't seeing your comments immediately, you may need to verify your email address. To do so, visit disqus.com/account.
See more about comments here.
  • Search Obituaries
  • Place an Obituary

  • Search Cars
  • Search Homes
  • Search Jobs
  • Search Marketplace
  • Search Legal Notices

  • Other Services
  • Advertise With Us
  • Subscribe to the Newspaper
  • Access your e-Edition
  • Frequently Asked Questions
  • Contact a newsroom staff member
  • Access the Trib Archives
  • Privacy Policy
  • Missing your paper? Need to place your paper on vacation hold? For this and any other subscription related needs, click here or call 801.204.6100.