Get breaking news alerts via email

Click here to manage your alerts
Utah Crime & Courts
Tribune Justice Reporters
By Tribune Justice Reporters

Subscribe (RSS)

(Michael McFall | The Salt Lake Tribune) Salt Lake City Police Officer Carl Carlson, 38, died 85 years ago after an accident during a Prohibition-era liquor raid.
Prohibition-era raid killed a Salt Lake City officer

A liquor raid turned deadly for one Salt Lake City policeman, who was less than a year on the job.

The Salt Lake City Police Department memorialized the death of Patrolman Carl Carlson on Sunday, who died 85 years ago to the day. In 1929, when Prohibition still reigned, 38-year-old Carlson and his fellow officers raided a building at 23 S. West Temple (more or less where the City Creek condos are now) where they found 50-gallon barrels of mash — which can be used as an ingredient for beer or whiskey.

Join the Discussion
Post a Comment

During the raid, one of the barrels fell on Carlson’s foot, causing him to jump back and strike his head against the wall, according to the police department memorial.

He received treatment for his foot when he went to the hospital. Carlson went to a wrestling exhibition after he was released — but while he was there, he was losing consciousness and someone found him clinging to a lamppost.

He went back to the hospital and died the next morning, on March 9. It turned out that a basilar skull fracture, from hitting his head during the liquor raid, was the cause of his death, according to the memorial.

Carlson was buried three days later at Wasatch Lawn Memorial Park, about an hour’s walk southeast from his home at 2020 S. Roberta Street. The Richmond-born man was survived by his wife Caroline Strand and six children.

He had lived in Salt Lake City for six years and had only been on the police force for eight months, according to his death certificate and a separate online memorial.

Four years after Carlson died, Utah helped repeal the national prohibition. The production and sale of alcohol had actually jumped dramatically in Utah, as well as the rest of the country, during the ban, according to a History Blazer article posted on the Utah state history website. Agents seized more than 322,000 gallons of mash from 1925 to 1932, but "huge profits from the manufacture and sale of liquor made it impossible to stop," the article adds.

— Michael McFall

Twitter: @mikeypanda

Copyright 2014 The Salt Lake Tribune. All rights reserved. This material may not be published, broadcast, rewritten or redistributed.

Top Reader Comments Read All Comments Post a Comment
Click here to read all comments   Click here to post a comment

About Reader Comments

Reader comments on sltrib.com are the opinions of the writer, not The Salt Lake Tribune. We will delete comments containing obscenities, personal attacks and inappropriate or offensive remarks. Flagrant or repeat violators will be banned. If you see an objectionable comment, please alert us by clicking the arrow on the upper right side of the comment and selecting "Flag comment as inappropriate". If you've recently registered with Disqus or aren't seeing your comments immediately, you may need to verify your email address. To do so, visit disqus.com/account.
See more about comments here.
  • Search Obituaries
  • Place an Obituary

  • Search Cars
  • Search Homes
  • Search Jobs
  • Search Marketplace
  • Search Legal Notices

  • Other Services
  • Advertise With Us
  • Subscribe to the Newspaper
  • Access your e-Edition
  • Frequently Asked Questions
  • Contact a newsroom staff member
  • Access the Trib Archives
  • Privacy Policy
  • Missing your paper? Need to place your paper on vacation hold? For this and any other subscription related needs, click here or call 801.204.6100.