Six weeks to the day after Robert Anae was re-hired as BYU's offensive coordinator, the Cougars have completed the great offensive coaching staff shakeup of 2013.
As was reported by The Tribune earlier Friday, the last two vacant positions on the staff were filled with an official announcement from the school Friday evening.
BYU has hired former Cougar quarterback Jason Beck as its quarterbacks coach (replacing Brandon Doman, in essence) and former UTEP receivers coach Guy Holliday to be its new receivers coach. Holliday replaces Ben Cahoon, who was released of his duties in January.
"I am excited to have Guy and Jason join our coaching staff," BYU coach Bronco Mendenhall said in a school news release. "Guy is an experienced wide receivers coach who promotes tough and physical football and has great relationships with his players. He excels in the role of mentoring young people.
"Jason is an intelligent, poised coach who understands quarterback play and is a great teacher of young men. He is extremely passionate about our football program and the mission of the university. We are fortunate to have both of them at BYU."
A couple tidbits from the release on Holliday:
* Holliday has helped 21 players advance to the NFL, including 20 at wide receiver.
* "I look forward to embracing the spiritual elements of BYU and helping young men be successful," Holliday said in the release.
* Holiday has three children, including Justin, a receiver at UTEP.
A couple tidbits from the release on Beck:
* Since serving as an offensive intern on the BYU coaching staff (not a graduate assistant), Beck has had stops at LSU, Weber State and Simon Fraser University is Canada.
* "I am excited to return to BYU. It is a special place for me and my family. I greatly respect the vision and standards coach Mendenhall sets for the program and I am looking forward to being part of his staff," Beck said in the release.
* At Weber State, Beck helped quarterback Cameron Higgins set school records for most career passing yards (12,274), most career touchdown passes (98) and other career records.
* Beck returned to BYU and earned his master's degree in communications fin 2011. He is married to former BYU soccer star Jaime Rendich, and they have a daughter named Peyton.
|1.||Assault case dropped against Ralston, man trapped in Utah canyon|
|2.||Aron Ralston, who cut off arm to escape Utah canyon, jailed in Denver|
|3.||Mormon church traces black priesthood ban to Brigham Young|
|4.||Susan Boyle says Asperger’s diagnosis was a relief|
|5.||Smallpools and beach balls, all part of Salt Lake City’s Eve 5.0|
|6.||Mitt Romney documentary a standout amid Sundance’s stars|
|7.||Stars will shine in Sundance premieres|
|8.||Deborah Voigt joins Mormon Tabernacle Choir for annual Christmas extravaganza|
|9.||Witness to guide Idaho search for plane|
|10.||Not so justified: Justin Timberlake’s Grammy snub|