BYU released its 2013 football schedule today with one minor surprise. Nevada has been added to the schedule, and will play host to the Cougars on Nov. 30 in Reno.
That's the first leg of a three-game series announced Monday that includes two games at LaVell Edwards Stadium: in 2014 and 2019.
A few other newsy tidbits from the schedule release:
* Because the MWC is playing its football championship game on Dec. 7, 2013, new MWC member Hawaii has to drop BYU from its 2013 schedule because the Cougars and Warriors were scheduled to play on that date in Honolulu. The scheduled 2014 game in Provo has also been canceled. The schools have agreed to "look at" scheduling a future series.
* As previously reported by The Tribune, the Cougars will play one opponent from the Football Championship Subdivision in 2013. BYU will play host to Idaho State of the Big Sky Conference on Nov. 16, the Cougars' only home game in November.
* The 12-game schedule includes teams from eight conferences: ACC, Big Ten, Big 12, Pac-12, Big East, Conference USA, Mountain West and Big Sky.
* Said BYU athletic director Tom Holmoe: "It is one of the best schedules in program history."
* The Cougars have two byes, and both come at opportune times. The first one is the weekend of Sept. 14, which is the weekend before the Sept. 21 showdown with the University of Utah. The second one is the weekend of Nov. 2, which is the weekend before the Nov. 9 game at Wisconsin.
* As of now, there are two Friday night games on the schedule: Sept. 27 in Provo against Middle Tennessee State and Oct. 4 at Utah State.
* Seven opponents played in bowl games last season: Texas, Wisconsin, Georgia Tech, Boise State, Utah State, Nevada and Notre Dame.
2013 BYU Football Schedule
Aug. 31 at Virginia
Sept. 7 Texas
Sept. 14 BYE
Sept. 21 Utah
Sept. 27 Middle Tennessee State
Oct. 4 at Utah State
Oct. 12 Georgia Tech
Oct. 19 at Houston
Oct. 26 Boise State
Nov. 2 BYE
Nov. 9 at Wisconsin
Nov. 16 Idaho State
Nov. 23 at Notre Dame
Nov. 30 at Nevada
|1.||Fall TV preview: The best and worst of fall TV|
|2.||Ordain Women will take its message local to Mormon congregations|
|3.||Lawmaker: All Utah restaurants should have a ‘Zion Curtain’|
|4.||Feds charge five Utahns in Recapture Canyon protest ride|
|5.||MLS says Chivas USA might not play in 2015|
|6.||At his funeral, Darrien Hunt’s friends say he was Christlike|
|7.||BYU football: Zac Stout’s return to BYU tearful, but gratifying|
|8.||Ice-cold, high-point beer a new niche for Utah brewery stores|
|9.||Utah football: Michigan’s Brady Hoke is battling for his job|
|10.||Movie review: ‘Maze Runner’ sends viewers going in circles|