A bunch of newsy stuff came out of BYU's practice this morning.
A quick rundown:
* Coach Bronco Mendenhall said that freshman Taysom Hill has a leg up on the race to be the third-string quarterback. He said James Lark is clearly Riley Nelson's backup.
* Doctors have cleared Kyle Van Noy to return to contact drills for the first time since he underwent shoulder surgery last winter.
* Receiver Mitch Mathews, named as the No. 4 receiver Monday by Mendenhall, had a CT scan on his sore right shoulder on Tuesday morning. Mathews hurt his clavicle in the summer; didn't practice on Tuesday.
* LB Uona Kaveinga hit the showers early after a hit knocked RB Mike Alisa to the turf; Bronco said the hit while the Cougars were in shoulder pads and helmets only was outside the rules of contact for those kind of days.
* Offensive lineman Solomone Kafu had his right hand in a bandage and was held out of the contact drills.
* BYU announced that offensive lineman Fono Vakalahi, a 6-3, 339-pound sophomore, has decided to leave the program. No word yet where the native of Bryan, Texas, will transfer.
* It was also announced that OL Walter Kahaiali'i, a senior who was recently married, will quit football due to chronic knee issues. He will remain with the team as a student assistant coach, much like safety Jray Galea'i.
* Vakalahi and Kahaiali'i will be replaced on the 105-man roster by Lone Peak High DB Jacob Hanneman (who was grayshirting) and receiver Taggart Krueger.
Krueger is from Jake Heaps' high school in Sammamish, Wash. (Skyline).
* Riley Nelson was 5-for-7 from 27 yards in the final scrimmage as all the QBs primarily threw to running backs out of the backfield. Taysom Hill was 3-for-3 for 29 yards, including a 20-yarder to David Foote. James Lark was 0-for-2. Hill also had a 13-yard run, showing off some decent speed in getting to the corner.
* Mendenhall said the Cougars are to the point in camp where the offense and defense isn't liking each other all that much.
|1.||4 Utah restaurants call it quits|
|2.||Utah officer who shot Dillon Taylor was wearing a body camera|
|3.||Restaurateur impressing Salt Lake with good food, hard work|
|4.||Report shows Utah Dickey’s had problem with food labels|
|5.||Salt Lake’s Flower Patch goes down as David bows to Goliath|
|6.||BYU football: At least three freshmen could start in opener|
|7.||Op-Ed: LDS leader delivered a confusing message to graduates|
|8.||Utah protesters demand justice for Dillon Taylor, others killed by police|
|9.||Utah cities purge gun-control laws at demand of national group|
|10.||Review: Even Stevens Sandwiches makes altruism delicious|