We follow a strict 25-step protocol for putting up the Christmas lights every year at our house. It goes like this.
1. My husband announces it's time to put up the lights, and I agree.
2. He heads for the attic and pulls out plastic tub after tub (after tub!) of said lights, which we have been collecting since we got married.
3. Because you never know when you might need a strand of Christmas lights that you bought in 1977!
4. Then comes the "testing" part.
5. My husband drags out each strand of lights to see which ones have decided to work this year.