Get breaking news alerts via email

Click here to manage your alerts
Utah tells feds how much it costs to teach immigrants
This is an archived article that was published on sltrib.com in 2007, and information in the article may be outdated. It is provided only for personal research purposes and may not be reprinted.

Utah legislators frustrated by illegal immigration are finished being nice - they're sending a strongly worded letter to the feds.

Armed with a legislative audit estimating the cost of educating undocumented immigrants, members of the Education Interim Committee voted Wednesday to send the audit to Utah's congressional delegation and the U.S. departments of Immigration and Education.

An accompanying letter will request "reimbursement to the state from the federal government of costs resulting from their failed immigration policy."

"I doubt they'll pay it," said Rep. Steve Urquhart, R-St. George, who made the motion to send the letter. "But I think it's important that they hear from the state."

The audit, which was released in May, estimated Utah spends between $63 million and $98 million educating undocumented immigrants. Its narrow scope considered neither the U.S. citizen children of undocumented immigrants nor the taxes contributed by such workers.

The audit estimated costs to educate undocumented immigrants by roughly estimating their numbers - somewhere between 11,000 and 17,000 - and figuring the state spends the per-pupil average, plus low-income and English-language learner funds on them.

Democratic Reps. Carol Spackman-Moss of Holladay and Mark Wheatley of Murray, and Sen. Ross Romero, D-Salt Lake City, voted against the motion.


State wants its money back for 'failed immigration policy'
Article Tools

 Print Friendly
  • Search Obituaries
  • Place an Obituary

  • Search Cars
  • Search Homes
  • Search Jobs
  • Search Marketplace
  • Search Legal Notices

  • Other Services
  • Advertise With Us
  • Subscribe to the Newspaper
  • Access your e-Edition
  • Frequently Asked Questions
  • Contact a newsroom staff member
  • Access the Trib Archives
  • Privacy Policy
  • Missing your paper? Need to place your paper on vacation hold? For this and any other subscription related needs, click here or call 801.204.6100.