Police: 2 suspects in deadly bank robbery gang members
Published: July 17, 2014 09:45AM
Updated: July 17, 2014 09:45AM
image
Stockton Police officers at the scene where bank robbery suspects with hostages were stopped at Thornton Road and Otto Drive Wednesday July 16, 2014. Cars and houses were riddled with bullets during a high-speed chase and hostages were thrown from a fleeing SUV after a bank robbery Wednesday that led to the deaths of a hostage and two robbers, police said. (AP Photo/The Record, Craig Sanders)

Stockton, Calif. • Police in Central California say two suspected bank robbers who took three women hostage and were killed in a resulting shootout with officers were gang members.

Stockton police spokesman Joe Silva said Thursday morning the men, ages 30 and 27, were Stockton residents. He identified the third and surviving suspect as 19-year-old Jaime Ramos and said Ramos was booked into San Joaquin County Jail on suspicion of homicide, kidnapping, robbery and attempted murder.

Silva says police are still investigating the crime scene and have so far found at least three handguns and an assault rifle.

Police say officers responded to the robbery on Wednesday afternoon and spotted three men taking three women hostage at gunpoint.

Two of the hostages were wounded during the ensuing chase. The third hostage — who police believe was used as a human shield — was found dead in the SUV after the shootout.