Urban Arts Festival highlights city-inspired style
Broadly defined, "urban arts" can be "anything that's city-inspired art or lifestyle," says Derek Dyer, director of the Urban Arts Festival.
The event, marking its fourth year, takes place Saturday from 11 a.m. to 10 p.m. on Rio Grande Street in The Gateway shopping center in downtown Salt Lake City.
"This is the art that's happening now," said Dyer, who is also executive director of the Utah Arts Alliance, which presents the festival. "It's very timely, and speaks to the world we live in."
Among the highlights:
• About 100 artists' booths, selling clothing, jewelry and artwork.
• Three stages with live music and dance performance including two-on-two breakdancing competition.
• A short film festival at the Megaplex Cinemas 12.
• Two beer gardens.
• A skate-deck art competition, to be judged by festivalgoers.
• Skateboarding competitions and demonstrations.
The event is free.
Sean P. Means