Quantcast
Home » News
Home » News

Unattended candle sparks fire in Clearfield duplex

Published June 26, 2014 4:58 pm

This is an archived article that was published on sltrib.com in 2014, and information in the article may be outdated. It is provided only for personal research purposes and may not be reprinted.

An unattended candle ignited a fire in a Clearfield duplex Thursday morning that left four adults and a toddler temporarily displaced from their homes.

The candle was left burning by the occupant of one of the units in a duplex at 164 N. 300 East, said Deputy Fire Chief John Taylor of the North Davis Fire District.

Emergency dispatch received a call at 11:30 a.m. when the occupants of the other side of the duplex, who were home when the fire broke up, smelled smoke. A man and a woman, their daughter and a granddaughter escaped the building without injuries.

Taylor estimated the fire caused about $10,000 in damage to the duplex.

"Always be mindful of placement of candles," Taylor said. "Remain in the area where the candle was lit, and make sure it's extinguished when you leave the area or you leave the home."

Clearfield police said no charges are being filed against the man who left the candle burning.

hstevens@sltrib.com

Twitter: @Harry_Stevens