Utahn charged with auto homicide in death of Caffe Ibis owner
Courts • Police suspect Alvin Blaine Henson was drunk at the time of the accident.
Published: April 14, 2014 04:21PM
Updated: April 14, 2014 09:09PM
Randy Wirth died on April 12, 2014, two days after an accident caused by an alleged drunk driver. Wirth, who was roastmaater and co-owner of Logan's Caffe Ibis, is seen here with his wife, Sally Sears, who is CEO of the cafe.

An alleged drunk driver was charged Monday with automobile homicide in connection with a crash that killed the co-owner of a Logan coffee company.

Alvin Blaine Henson, 40, was charged in Cache County’s 1st District Court with second-degree felony automobile homicide, along with Class B misdemeanors related to being an alcohol restricted driver and not having a DUI interlock system in the car he was driving at the time of the Thursday accident.

Randy Wirth, 67, died Saturday from injuries suffered in the crash. Wirth co-owned Caffe Ibis Coffee Roasting Co. in downtown Logan with wife, Sally Sears.

Police believe that just after 7:30 p.m. Thursday, Henson was driving a pickup truck east on 200 South in Millville. Witnesses described his driving as erratic, according Cache County sheriff’s authorities.

Henson’s truck crossed into the westbound lanes and hit a Cadillac DeVille near 140 West. Somehow, Wirth — who was driving a motorcycle — was also struck during the accident, according to authorities.

Wirth was taken in an ambulance to Logan Regional Hospital. A helicopter then flew him to McKay Dee Hospital in Ogden, where he died Saturday afternoon.

Deputies who responded to the crash immediately recognized evidence of alcohol use with both Henson and his 29-year-old passenger, according to police. The two had suffered minor injuries and were taken to Logan Regional Hospital.

Henson, of Millville, is being held without bail at the Cache County jail, and made his initial appearance in court Monday afternoon.

Henson had previously pleaded guilty in January 2013 to a DUI, and was sentenced to 12 months probation and two days in jail.


Twitter: @jm_miller