The July Fourth Sugar House Fireworks show will go on after all.
It was nail-biting time at the end of last week as organizer Scott Workman was about to raise a white flag and cancel the annual Independence Day celebration.
But a call from Michael Ziouras, owner of Apollo Burger, saved the day. Ziouras ponied up $25,000 to help Workman reach the $65,000 goal needed to stage the Independence Day celebration.
“As of late last week, until I got that call from Apollo, I thought we’d have to cancel it,” Workman said Monday.
“When I got that call, it was like, wow, this could turn into something great.”
Traditionally, the fireworks were put on by the Sugar House Park Authority, which operates the park.
In 2009, when the park authority determined to no longer put on the show, Workman stepped in to save it.
“It’s not just a fireworks show,” Workman said, “but it’s a celebration of the founding of this country and its independence as a nation.”
Since then, the July Fourth Sugar House fireworks have needed several last-minutes saves. Hopefully this will be the last of them, Workman said.
“Apollo is a local company, and the community has been good to them,” Workman said of Apollo. “And they love this tradition and wanted to step in for the community.”
Some 35,000 residents attend the July Fourth fireworks show at Sugar House Park every year. Admission is free.