Home » News

Utah farmers can enroll for disaster assistance

Published April 7, 2014 3:05 pm

Compensation to eligible producers will cover losses between 2011 and present.
This is an archived article that was published on sltrib.com in 2014, and information in the article may be outdated. It is provided only for personal research purposes and may not be reprinted.

Utah farmers and ranchers who experienced livestock and grazing losses between 2011 and 2014 can enroll in disaster assistance programs re-established by the 2014 Farm Bill, according to the U.S. Department of Agriculture (USDA) Farm Service Agency (FSA)

Enrollment begins Tuesday, April 15 for The Livestock Indemnity Program (LIP) and the Livestock Forage Disaster Program (LFP), which pays producers for livestock deaths and grazing losses that have occurred between 2011 — when the livestock disaster assistance programs expired — and 2014.

LIP provides compensation to eligible livestock producers that have suffered livestock death losses in excess of normal mortality due to adverse weather and attacks by animals reintroduced into the wild by the federal government or protected by federal law. LFP provides compensation to eligible livestock producers that have suffered grazing losses due to drought or fire.

Enrollment also begins on April 15 for producers with losses covered by the Emergency Assistance for Livestock, Honeybees, and Farm-Raised Fish Program (ELAP) and the Tree Assistance Program (TAP) beween 2011, when the programs expired, through 2014.

ELAP provides emergency assistance to eligible producers of livestock, honeybees and farm-raised fish that have losses due to disease, adverse weather, or other conditions, such as wildfires. TAP provides financial assistance to qualifying orchardists and nursery tree growers to replant or rehabilitate eligible trees, bushes and vines damaged by natural disasters.