Quantcast
Home » News
Home » News

MLB: Jimmy Rollins back in lineup after three days off

Published March 13, 2014 11:08 pm

This is an archived article that was published on sltrib.com in 2014, and information in the article may be outdated. It is provided only for personal research purposes and may not be reprinted.

Clearwater, Fla. • Jimmy Rollins will be back in the Philadelphia Phillies' starting lineup Friday following a mysterious three-game benching.

When he arrived at Bright House Field on Thursday, Rollins said he was healthy and ready to play. He was unsure why manager Ryne Sandberg decided to rest him for third consecutive game.

Sandberg and Rollins spoke before the game against a New York Yankees' split squad and Sandberg said resting Rollins was not a disciplinary decision.

Rollins is in the lineup for Friday's game against the Pirates in Bradenton, Fla.

Sandberg said he wanted to give Freddy Galvis some at-bats and ration the playing time of Rollins and second baseman Chase Utley with opening day still a few weeks off.

"First of all I wanted to see Freddy play three days in a row," Sandberg said. "He has got his playing time and at-bats coming up. It's also a long season playing up the middle, so with him and Chase, I'm careful with their days."

Sandberg did want to speak with Rollins prior to Thursday's game about comments the veteran shortstop made in the Philadelphia Daily News earlier in the week.

Warthen apologizes for racial slur

Port St. Lucie, Fla. • Dan Warthen and the Mets apologized after the team's pitching coach used a racial slur in describing the translator for New York pitcher Daisuke Matsuzaka.

"I apologize for the thoughtless remarks that I made yesterday in the clubhouse," Warthen said in statement released by the team Wednesday. "They were a poor attempt at humor but were wrong and inappropriate in any setting. I am very sorry."

Warthen approached translator Jeff Cutler, a Japanese-American, on Monday and apologized for jokingly calling him a "Chinaman" the previous day, The Wall Street Journal reported.

Arruebarrena reports to Dodgers

Glendale, Ariz. • Cuban shortstop Erisbel Arruebarrena reported to the Los Angeles Dodgers on Thursday, nearly three weeks after agreeing to a $25 million, five-year contract.

"I've thought about this for a year," Arruebarrena said through an interpreter. "I'm just happy to be with the Dodger organization."