LDS Church, 4 lawmakers to chime in on gay marriage case
UPDATED Feb. 7, 5 p.m.:
The list of briefs that three appellate judges hearing same-sex marriage appeals from Utah and Oklahoma will have to pore through keeps growing.
As of Friday, 17 groups including a consortuim that includes the Church of Jesus Christ of Latter-day Saints have given the court notice they plan to file amicus briefs in the case. Many also filed briefs in the two recent U.S. Supreme Court cases and a 9th Circuit Court appeal of a lower court's decision upholding Nevada's ban on same-sex marriage. In the 9th Circuit, there are more than 30 friend-of-the-court filings.
Here are the entities who've piled on the Utah and Oklahoma cases so far:
• Consortium that includes the Church of Jesus Christ of Latter-day Saints, National Association of Evangelicals, U.S. Conference of Catholic Bishops, the Ethics and Libery Commission of the Southern Baptist Convention, and the Lutheran Church-Missouri Synod
• The Sutherland Institute
• The Eagle Forum Education and Legal Defense Fund
• United States Conference of Catholic Bishops
• American Leadership Fund
• Family Research Council
• Paul McHugh, M.D., a Distinguished professor of psychiatrist at Johns Hopkins University
• Coalition that includes The Center for Urban Renewal and Education, The Coalition of African-American Pastors USA and the Frederick Douglass Foundatoin
• David R. Upham, political science professor at the University of Dallas
• Helen M. Alvare, law professor at George Mason University
• Lynn Wardle, Brigham Young University law professor on behalf of "Utah counties"
• Concerned Women of America
• State of Indiana and other states
• Roberta Kaplan on behalf of Utah couples Douglas Wortham and Nicholas Nero; Lynn Beltran and Claudia O'Grady; and Stanford Rovig and Charles Fluke
• Sherif Girgis, Robert P. George, Ryan Anderson, authors of "What is Marriage? Man & Woman: A Defense."
• David C. Walker representing seven social science professors
• The Becket Fund for Religious Liberty
• Dani Hartvigsen for Doug Mainwaring, Alana Newman, Robert Oscar Lopez and Janna Anderson
• Robert Theron Smith for Rep. Lowry Snow, R-St. George; Rep. LaVar Christensen, R-Draper; Rep. Kay McIff, R-Richfield; and Rep. Merrill Nelson, R-Grantsville