Child starts fire that heavily damages Layton home
A fire started by a child forced an adult and five children to flee a Layton home late Wednesday morning.
Layton Fire Department dispatchers said the blaze, reported at 11:22 a.m. at 762 E. Aspen East Drive, was doused shortly after noon but not before it caused an estimated $150,000 in damage. The heat was so intense that firefighters mainly fought the blaze from outside, according to a news release.
Investigators learned that a 5-year-old boy found a lighter and had lit a shirt on fire.
No injuries were reported, but the split-level, wood and brick home will not be fit for occupation until extensive repairs are made.
Children, especially boys, that are 5 or older "have a driven curiosity about fire and the use of matches and lighters," said fire department spokesman Doug Bitton in a statement. "Adults need to teach children the dangers of fire and children should never attempt to play with matches and lighters. We as parents should be extra vigilant to keep matches and lighters high and away from the reach of children."