Quantcast
Home » News
Home » News

Ashes from meat smoker spark Taylorsville blaze

Published February 2, 2014 7:53 pm

This is an archived article that was published on sltrib.com in 2014, and information in the article may be outdated. It is provided only for personal research purposes and may not be reprinted.

No one was injured Sunday after discarded ashes from a meat smoker caught a Taylorsville couple's home on fire.

Unified Fire Authority officials said the blaze started about 11:15 a.m. in the trash can under the two-story, split entry home at 4358 Beechwood Road (1510 West).

Earlier, the couple had thrown away what they thought were extinguished ashes, but those caught the garbage on fire. That blaze then spread to the wooden deck and then to the house.

The couple and their dogs escaped without injury.

The fire caused an estimated $80,000. The home is uninhabitable.

jstecklein@sltrib.com

Twitter @sltribjanelle