Three dead in Syracuse shooting
Investigation • Man, woman, 2 kids lived in the home; nobody is in custody, and police say shooter isn’t at large.
Published: January 14, 2014 07:12PM
Updated: January 14, 2014 11:15PM
Leah Hogsten | The Salt Lake Tribune Syracuse Police officers investigate the scene where three people died in a shooting in Syracuse at 2133 W. 1175 South, Tuesday, January 14, 2014.

Syracuse • Police were investigating a shooting Tuesday that left three people dead in a home in a residential neighborhood here.

Dispatchers said officers responded at 6:49 p.m. to a call of a disturbance at 2133 W. 1175 South, where they found three people dead with gunshot wounds. Police would not identify the victims or provide ages or genders.

Police said the shooter was not at large and nobody had been taken into custody.

Four people had been living in the home: a man, a woman and two children, neighbors said.

Police paid a visit to the home Monday because the couple, who were boyfriend and girlfriend, had broken up and needed to exchange property, said Erin Behm, spokeswoman for the Syracuse Police Department.

Craig Hawkins, a neighbor, witnessed the police coming to the home Monday and tuned into the incident on his police scanner.

Hawkins said, according to traffic on the scanner, the police were called because the boyfriend would not leave the porch of the house.

Officers spoke with the boyfriend for about 15 minutes, and he left, Hawkins said.

The man returned to the home Tuesday with a moving truck and several people who helped him move stuff out of the house; then they left, Hawkins said.

Hawkins didn’t know the residents of the home, and said they moved in house in the fall.

Joe Petersen, a neighbor, said he pulled up to his house Tuesday just before police arrived at the scene. He said an extremely distraught man was in the driveway of the house where the shooting occurred.

Petersen said the man said, “Why did .... do that?” not hearing all of what the distraught man had said.

Petersen went inside his home and his wife Karlene said she had heard a gunshot just prior to police arriving.