Home » News

ECHL: Phil Mangan's late goal lifts Utah over Stockton 6-4

Published January 12, 2014 6:31 pm

This is an archived article that was published on sltrib.com in 2014, and information in the article may be outdated. It is provided only for personal research purposes and may not be reprinted.

West Valley City • The streaking Utah Grizzlies just keep rolling.

Phil Mangan scored the tie-breaking goal with 1:29 remaining Saturday night, leading the Grizzlies to a 6-4 ECHL victory over Stockton at the Maverik Center.

Utah never trailed against the Thunder and bumped its record to 6-1-1-2 in the last 10 games.

"We controlled most of the game," said the Grizzlies' David Vallorani. "We had the puck pretty much the whole game. We took a couple of dumb penalties that cost us in the third period but, in the end, it worked out."

After Mangan's go-ahead goal, Vallorani scored into an empty net with 32.3 seconds remaining. It was his second goal of the game, which Stockton tied with 11:19 left when Joey Martin converted a 5-on-3 power play.

"Usually when you score a 5-on-3 goal you win the game, right?" Vallorani said. "But the guys battled hard."

The Grizzlies needed only 90 seconds to open the scoring.

Danick Paquette's deflection beat Stockton goalie Brian Foster and gave Utah a quick 1-0 lead. It was Paquette's seventh goal of the season.

The Grizzlies continued to dominate play and goalie Aaron Dell wasn't forced to make a save for over eight minutes. But the Thunder's Mitch Bruijsten scored on a rebound at 10:44 to tie the game.

The Grizzlies took a 2-1 lead into the first intermission, when Vinny Scarsella turned a perfect pass from Vallorani into a goal with 5:21 left in the wild opening period.

Vallorani scored his 12th goal of the season midway through the second period to make it 3-1, but Stockton stayed in the game when James Henry's wrist shot beat Dell with only seven seconds left.

Still, the Grizzlies seemed to regain control early in the third period when Michael Pelech's shorthanded goal gave Utah a 4-2 lead.

Stockton continued on the power play, however, and stayed close when Garret Hunt poked home a rebound only 47 seconds later.

With 11:13 left in regulation, the Thunder tied the game when it scored in the final seconds of a 5-on-3 power play.

The goal, which followed a delay of game penalty on Gentry Zollars and a cross-check by the Mike Folkes, set the stage for Utah's scintillating finish. —


O Phil Mangan's tie-breaking goal with 1:29 left leads Utah to a 6-4 victory over Stockton.

• David Vallorani scores twice, including an empty-net goal with 32.3 seconds left to seal the win.

• Danick Paquette, Vinny Scarsella and Michael Pelech also score goals for the Grizzlies.