Iron County home destroyed in fire

By Jessica Miller

The Salt Lake Tribune

Published: January 4, 2014 04:14PM
Updated: January 5, 2014 08:36PM
image
Firefighters work to contain a blaze near 3500 East Red Creek Canyon Road on Friday, Jan. 3. Courtesy: Iron County Sheriff's Office

A lack of fire hydrants in the area slowed firefighting efforts Friday after flames engulfed an Iron County home.

Fire crews were called to a home near 3500 East Red Creek Canyon Road on Friday just after noon on a report of a fire burning the roof of the home, according to the Iron County Sheriff’s Office.

When crews arrived, they tried to contain the fire, but once the roof began collapsing, they had to leave the house. They continued to fight the fire from outside the residence, but a lack of fire hydrants caused limited water resources, and it took about an hour for water to be trucked to the area.

Fire personnel from the Paragonah, Parowan, Brian Head and Bureau of Land Management responded and eventually put out the fire. No injuries were reported, but the residence was destroyed. Fire officials estimate the damage at $400,000, and believe the fire originated in the chimney.