East Salt Lake City blaze displaces two
A man and woman were displaced early Monday morning when fire broke out in their east Salt Lake City home.
Salt Lake City Fire Department spokesman Jasen Asay said the couple was not seriously injured in the blaze at 450 S. 1300 East. However, the woman, in her 50s, was taken to the hospital for treatment of minor smoke inhalation.
The couple was being assisted by the Red Cross in finding alternative shelter.
Public safety dispatchers said a 911 call reporting the fire came in at 6 a.m. Firefighters had declared the blaze in the brick-and-wood structure out by 7 a.m.
The cause of the fire was determined to be electrical and was believed to have started in the rear of the home. Losses were estimated in excess of $40,000, having damaged two bedrooms and the kitchen area.