College basketball: No. 3 Ohio State holds off Notre Dame
New York • Lenzelle Smith Jr. scored seven of his nine points in the final 33 seconds and No. 3 Ohio State rallied from an eight-point deficit with 1:54 to play to beat Notre Dame 64-61 on Saturday night in the BlackRock Gotham Classic at Madison Square Garden.
The Buckeyes (12-0), who had a woeful second half from the field, closed the game on a 14-3 run and Smith was the key to the closing spurt.
Jerian Grant hit a 3-pointer as the shot clock was expiring to give the Fighting Irish (8-4) a seemingly comfortable 58-50 lead with 1:54 to play.
But the Buckeyes turned up the defensive intensity and they converted consecutive steals into a 58-56 deficit with 40 seconds to go.
Demetrius Jackson made two free throws for Notre Dame a second later.
Smith was fouled taking a 3-pointer and he made all three free throws to bring Ohio State within 60-59 with 32 seconds left.
Steve Vasturia, who was in the game because Eric Atkins had fouled out, missed the front end of a 1-and-1 with 31 seconds left, his first free throw attempt of the season.
Smith scored down low on a pass from Aaron Craft to give the Buckeyes a 61-60 lead with 16 seconds to go. After a Notre Dame turnover, Smith made two free throws for a 63-60 lead with 9.8 seconds left.
Grant made one free throw with 6.7 seconds left and Craft made one free throw with 3.3 seconds left.
Jackson missed a potential tying 3 as the buzzer sounded.
No. 14 North Carolina 97, Davidson 85, OT • In Chapel Hill, N.C., Marcus Paige scored 11 of his 17 points in overtime to help North Carolina beat Davidson. Paige missed his first six shots and didn't score until the 8:17 mark of the second half, but took over late to help the Tar Heels (8-3) bounce back from Wednesday's loss to Texas and avoid another surprising home defeat.
Kansas State 72, No. 21 Gonzaga 62 • In Wichita, Kan., Thomas Gipson scored eight of his 14 points in the game's decisive minutes and freshman Marcus Foster also had 14 points as Kansas State outlasted Gonzaga at Intrust Bank Arena.
Top 25 scores
• No. 3 Ohio State 64, Notre Dame 61
• No. 5 Michigan State 92, Texas 78
• No. 6 Louisville 85, Florida International 56
• No. 7 Oklahoma State vs. No. 20 Colorado, late
• No. 8 Villanova 88, Rider 67
• No. 13 Oregon vs. BYU, late
• No. 14 North Carolina 97, Davidson 85, OT
• No. 15 Memphis 77, Southeast Missouri State 65
• No. 16 Florida 66, Fresno State 49
• No. 18 Kansas 86, Georgetown 64
• No. 19 Kentucky 93, Belmont 80
• Kansas State 72, No. 21. Gonzaga 62
• Florida State 60, No. 22 UMass 55
• Illinois 65, No. 23 Missouri 64
• No. 24 San Diego State 65, McNeese State 36