Quantcast
Home » News
Home » News

Natural gas leak closes Smithfield elementary school

Published October 22, 2013 8:20 am

This is an archived article that was published on sltrib.com in 2013, and information in the article may be outdated. It is provided only for personal research purposes and may not be reprinted.

Smithfield's Sunrise Elementary School was closed on Tuesday as Cache County School District crews continued repair work on a leaking natural gas line.

District officials say the odor of natural gas was noted by custodial workers and other school staff on Monday morning. The leak had been narrowed down to an aging pipe in a sub-floor space by Monday afternoon.

The main gas supply was shut down, but school officials on Monday did not consider the leak major enough to pose an immediate threat to students and staff. No natural gas-associated health complaints were reported.

However, since the school depends on the gas for heating and morning temperatures in the region have been in the 30s lately, the decision was made to close Sunrise Tuesday.

Parents who want to check the status of the repairs can visit the school's website.

remims@sltrib.com

Twitter: @remims