Toxic chemical spilled in Salt Lake City warehouse
No one was harmed after a highly toxic chemical spilled at a Salt Lake City warehouse Wednesday morning.
Salt Lake City Fire received a call just before 9 a.m. of a chemical spill near 5178 W. 150 South, according to spokesman Jasen Asay.
Asay said when hazmat crews arrived at RinChem, a chemical distribution company, they found about 10 gallons of highly toxic, flammable chemicals on the floor. The liquid was a mix of a substance called TCIR-ZR8690PB and a second chemical. Asay did not immediately know the name of the second chemical.
According to Asay, 20 glass bottles filled with the first chemical a resin commonly used to make flash drives Â were sitting on a shelf in the warehouse when the shelf broke and the bottles spilled on the ground. As the bottles fell, they knocked down other bottles containing the second chemical.
Asay said the two chemicals were "compatible" and did not produce a reaction.
About six workers were in the room at the time of the spill. Asay said the workers were evaluated by medical crews, and none had to be transported to a hospital for further treatment.
Hazmat crews worked through the morning to contain the spill. Most hazmat fire personnel were dismissed before 12:30 p.m. and a private clean-up company took over Wednesday afternoon.