Home » News

Prep football: Pleasant Grove pulls off stunner vs. Lehi

Published September 24, 2013 6:55 pm

Evans throws a TD pass in the closing minutes to win it.
This is an archived article that was published on sltrib.com in 2013, and information in the article may be outdated. It is provided only for personal research purposes and may not be reprinted.

Lehi • Jeremiah Evans rolled out on the bootleg and made his read.

The play would have seemed almost impossible just minutes earlier. Evans and his Pleasant Grove Vikings had trotted off the field after a fourth-and-10 heave had been broken up. The Lehi Pioneers, up by four points, only needed to run out the 1:27 left on the clock.

Lehi, however, dropped back for three straight pass plays, taking an 11-yard sack and throwing two incompletions before quarterback Derek Beeston was left to kill time in the end zone knowing he would give up a safety.

Pleasant Grove's Spencer Romney returned the kick inside the Lehi 40 to start the drive. So now, with time winding down, the senior quarterback Evans was rolling left, eyes up, searching.

"I just saw an open spot in the corner," said sophomore wide receiver Malik Overstreet, who snagged the touchdown pass to put the Vikings up 37-34 and snatch victory from the Pioneers.

Overstreet, who played in Lehi's youth program last year before opting to play his high school ball at Pleasant Grove, started the game with a 65-yard touchdown catch that eventually led to the first of running back T.J. Wind's four touchdowns on the night.

"TJ was possessed tonight," Vikings coach Les Hamilton said. "He just never goes down when he's hit by the first guy, and he runs the ball so dang hard."

For the wideout Overstreet, the night justified his reason for picking the Vikings: "So I could get the ball."

The Pioneers came into the game riding the legs of running back Caden Calton, who started the game with a 7-yard carry to become the first Utah high school player to reach the century mark this season. But it was quarterback Derek Beeston doing damage through the air for most of the game.

With time winding down in the first half, Beeston found receiver Austin Whetzel down the sideline. Whetzel caught the ball as time expired, cut back, narrowly missing the arms of a would-be tackler, and racing into the end zone for the 45-yard score.

Beeston threw for three more scores but came one short of the victory.

After Overstreet's catch, Beeston led his team to the 34-yard line. With less than a tick on the clock, he hit Ryan Absher underneath, and the back scampered to the 10 before being tackled out of bounds and sending the Vikings into a frenzy.

"I'm real proud of the guys," Hamilton said. "They never quit."


Twitter: @aaronfalk