Home » News

Prep football: Riverton subdues Lone Peak

Published September 21, 2013 5:13 pm

This is an archived article that was published on sltrib.com in 2013, and information in the article may be outdated. It is provided only for personal research purposes and may not be reprinted.

Riverton • Neither Lone Peak nor Riverton could lose Friday night and realistically remain in contention for an outright Region 4 championship.

The Silverwolves still are alive.

Paden Cayias rushed for three touchdowns and Dillon Underwood ran for another score as Riverton dominated the second half and defeated the Knights 31-14.

The win improved the Silverwolves' record to 4-1 overall and 1-1 in the region. Lone Peak slipped to 2-3 and 0-2.

"Our kids played well, especially up front," Riverton coach Mike Miller said. "We had a good week of preparation and it was obvious tonight, you know what I'm saying?"

The Silverwolves broke open a close game by scoring 21 points in the second half.

"We had a 15-play drive and an 18-play drive," Miller said. "I think that wore on them a little bit. Our kids were just going and going."

Riverton opened the scoring midway through a mistake-filled first quarter on a 4-yard run by Cayias. The touchdown was set up by Keaton Kimball's interception at midfield.

The Silverwolves regained possession at the Lone Peak 49, but they fumbled the ball on the first play, which led to the tying touchdown.

After the Knights converted a pair of third downs, quarterback Baron Gajkowski ran 4 yards for the score on the first play of the second quarter.

Riverton followed with an impressive drive.

The Silverwolves, who took over at their own 24, moved 62 yards in 13 plays. Cameron Christensen's 34-yard run on third-and-12 kept the drive alive, although Lone Peak held at its own 14 and forced a field-goal attempt.

Brady Slack made the 31-yard kick and, after Lone Peak's Braxton Berry missed a 26-yarder on the final play of the first half, Riverton took its 10-7 lead to the locker room.

The Silverwolves extended their lead after receiving the second-half kickoff and burning seven minutes off the clock. Underwood's 10-yard run made it 17-7.

When Lone Peak's ensuing drive stalled, the Silverwolves put away the game with a 92-yard drive that chewed up another seven minutes. Cayias' 3-yard run gave Riverton an insurmountable 24-7 lead with 6:59 left in the game.

"Tonight," Miller said, "things just went our way."