Home » News

Fire damages apartments in North Salt Lake

Published September 3, 2013 9:42 am

This is an archived article that was published on sltrib.com in 2013, and information in the article may be outdated. It is provided only for personal research purposes and may not be reprinted.

Several units of a North Salt Lake apartment complex were damaged in an early Tuesday morning fire, but no injuries were reported.

Dispatchers said the fire at the North Park Village Apartments began about 6 a.m., and South Davis Metro Fire Department crews had to evacuate all 16 units in the affected building, located at 55 West Center Street.

Six of the upper-story units were damaged, but as of Tuesday evening everyone had been placed in empty apartments in the same complex for the time being, according to a news release.

Investigators determined that a discarded cigarette, or an ember from one, on a mattress placed on a balcony started the fire, according to a news release.

No injuries were reported. The fire cause about $150,000 in damage.

The Utah Red Cross was providing for the food, shelter and clothing needs of about 12 evacuees.


Twitter: @remims