Quantcast
Home » News
Home » News

Crews rush to South Jordan Library smoke alarm

Published July 22, 2013 12:11 pm

This is an archived article that was published on sltrib.com in 2013, and information in the article may be outdated. It is provided only for personal research purposes and may not be reprinted.

Firefighters rushed to the scene of a blaze at the South Jordan Library Monday morning.

Public safety dispatchers said the call, reporting smoke wafting from a mechanical room at the 10673 S. Redwood Road (1700 West) facility, came in at 9:26 a.m.

No injuries were reported, but authorities did evacuate the library.

Crews quickly extinguished the fire, which was limited to the mechanical room and did not cause significant damage.

Salt Lake County Library spokesman Scott Russell said staff arriving about 9 a.m. noticed the building's air conditioning unit was not working, and then smelled smoke about the same time a smoke alarm went off inside the mechanical room.

"It was determined that a spark from [a] coil on the water heater may have singed some material by the coil and caused the smoke and smell," Russell said, adding that Rocky Mountain Power workers responded to make repairs and restore the building's electrical services.

remims@sltrib.com

Twitter: @remims