Bear Lake boater's death blamed on carbon monoxide
The Utah State Medical Examiner's Office has determined that carbon monoxide poisoning was to blame for the death of a boater on Bear Lake over the weekend.
The Rich County Sheriff's Office said Monday that 22-year-old Lucas M. Allyn, of Salt Lake County, originally had been thought to have suffered heat stroke while on a boat near the Bear Lake State Park Marina on Saturday evening.
Sheriff's dispatchers got a 911 call about an unresponsive victim at 7:13 p.m. Saturday. Park rangers and county EMTs performed CPR, but Allyn was pronounced dead at the scene at 8:32 p.m.
The sheriff's office did not release further details, noting the incident remained under investigation. However, it did appear that the boat was an older model without an outboard motor, and the victim had been sitting near its exhaust for an extended period of time.