Ogden firefighters quickly doused a fire late Tuesday morning at the Mount Ogden Junior High School. No injuries were reported.
Deputy Fire Chief Eric Bauman said the blaze was called in about 10 a.m. at 3260 Harrison Boulevard, where construction crews had been using a floor stripping chemical. An electrical cord suddenly sparked, igniting the flammable agent.
By 10:45 a.m., the blaze had been extinguished and crews were using fans to clear smoke from the scene.
No classes were being held at the time and five student custodians safely evacuated the building on their own.
The flames were contained to the area where floor stripping work was under way, in the cafeteria, Bauman said.
Damage was estimated in excess of $50,000.
The fire was being jointly investigated by the Ogden City Fire Marshal’s Office and the Utah State Fire Marshal’s office.