Quantcast
Home » News
Home » News

Two-alarm Salt Lake City condo complex fire caused by soldering

Published June 6, 2013 12:12 pm

This is an archived article that was published on sltrib.com in 2013, and information in the article may be outdated. It is provided only for personal research purposes and may not be reprinted.

Salt Lake City firefighters rushed to the scene of a two-alarm blaze late Thursday morning that heavily damaged two of six units in a condo complex.

Fire Department spokesman Jasen Asay said the first call came in a 11 a.m. Crews called a second alarm when they arrived at 1133 E. 3190 South (Brickyard Road) and saw smoke pouring from the two middle units.

In all, 14 residents were evacuated.

No people were injured, Asay said. A pet snake was rescued and one cat was found unconscious and barely breathing; it was revived at the scene with a specialty oxygen mask.

The cause of the blaze was ruled accidental, according to a fire department news release.

A worker renovating one of the units said he accidentally started a small fire as he was soldering pipes in the bathroom. He thought he had extinguished the fire, but 30 minutes later it started up again and became to large to extinguish. He left the building after calling 911.

No damage estimates were immediately available, but Asay said two of the units sustained fire losses and the others had smoke and water damage.

The Red Cross was assisting residents with shelter, food and clothing needs.

remims@sltrib.com

Twitter: @remims