An elderly Hyrum man who was severely burned while trying to eradicate weeds along a fence line at his home has died.
Melinda Rogers, spokeswoman for the University of Utah Burn Center in Salt Lake City, confirmed Thursday that 81-year-old Ray Jessop died at 2:20 a.m.
Jessop suffered third-degree burns over 90 percent of his body after his clothing caught fire while he was trying to burn the weeds with a propane torch about 11 a.m. Wednesday.
Cache County Sheriff’s Lt. Brian Locke said a neighbor boy came to the man’s aid, calling 911 for help.
Jessop was taken to Logan Regional Hospital and then flown by helicopter to the Burn Center in extremely critical condition.