Quantcast
Home » News
Home » News

Strange smell at Salt Lake Community College prompts emergency response

Published March 28, 2013 3:20 pm

Taylorsville • Two people taken to hospital following reports of dizziness and nausea.
This is an archived article that was published on sltrib.com in 2013, and information in the article may be outdated. It is provided only for personal research purposes and may not be reprinted.

Following reports of a strange smell — as well as dizziness and nausea — at the Taylorsville campus of Salt Lake Community College on Thursday afternoon, 25 people were evaluated and two patients were transported to a hospital in minor condition.

But no harmful materials or gases were found by emergency responders.

Unified Fire Capt. Clint Mecham said the call came in at 12:29 p.m., but the scene was cleared by 2:40 p.m.

"We were not able to identify anything [harmful]," Mecham said, adding that it is possible the heating and air-conditioning system was not working and had failed to properly vent the Applied Technology Center, where woodworking and welding classes are held.

He said blood monitors did not show any specific substances in the victims' blood streams, but did show that something was displacing oxygen.

The two who were transported were a male and a female, both in their early 20's, Mecham said.

shunt@sltrib.com