Overnight fire destroys Salt Lake City home

By Janelle Stecklein

The Salt Lake Tribune

Published: March 17, 2013 07:53PM
Updated: March 31, 2013 10:15PM

Two people were displaced Sunday morning after a fire destroyed their two-story Salt Lake City home.

Firefighters responded to the home at 2941 S. Hudson Circle (1160 East) about 2:40 a.m. and found a fast-moving fire.

Firefighters took a defensive approach to keep the blaze from spreading to nearby homes and structures.

The home and possessions were valued at an estimated $250,000, a fire department news release said.

No one was injured though the couple living in the home were displaced. The Red Cross was assisting them.

In an email late Sunday, Salt Lake City Fire Department spokesman Jasen Asay said the fire appears to have been caused by charcoal ashes discarded in a trash can.

jstecklein@sltrib.com

Twitter @sltribjanelle