Orem family loses home to fire
Published: February 28, 2013 08:50AM
Updated: February 28, 2013 11:12PM
image
Courtesy of Orem Public Safety Orem firefighters battle a house blaze early Thursday morning. The house was destroyed, leaving a family of eight homeless.

A family of eight was left without a home Thursday morning after a fire gutted their house in south-central Orem.

Orem Public Safety spokesman Craig Martinez said the 5:50 a.m. blaze at 973 S. 190 West in believed to have been caused by a burning candle left unattended.

Firefighters found thick smoke pouring from the rambler-style home’s roof upon arrival.

No injuries were reported to the four adults and four children who lived at the home. Initially, police said the family’s dog was lost, but later said the animal had survived the fire and was being treated for smoke inhalation.

The house was considered to be a total loss after its smoldering roof finally collapsed.

The Red Cross was assisting the family with food, clothing and shelter, Martinez said.

About 25 firefighters battled the blaze for about two hours, focusing on keeping flames from spreading to adjacent homes. In addition to Orem crews, the Provo Fire Department also provided assistance.

remims@sltrib.com

Twitter: @remims