Plans for the weekend: Desert Noises hits it big
• The Utah Symphony performs two Mendelssohn symphonies No. 1 and No. 5 ("Reformation") tonight and Saturday at Abravanel Hall, 123 W. South Temple, Salt Lake City. Thierry Fischer conducts, and the symphony's principal bassist David Yavornitzky solos on Hans Werner Henze's Double Bass Concerto. Show starts at 8 p.m. both nights. Tickets available at ArtTix.
• Hard-rock band 10 Years performs Saturday at In the Venue, 219 S. 600 West, Salt Lake City. Opening acts: Young Guns, Lost Element, Perish Lane. Show starts at 5:30 p.m. Tickets are $14.50, at Smith's Tix.
• Utah County alt-country band Desert Noises performs Saturday at Kilby Court, 741 S. Kilby Court (330 West), Salt Lake City. Opening acts: Hannah Georgas and The North Valley. Show starts at 7 p.m. Tickets are $10, at 24Tix.
• Local rock band American Hitmen perform Saturday at The Complex, 536 W. 100 South, Salt Lake City. Opening acts: The Better Life Band, The Young Electric, Seven Eves. Show starts at 8 p.m. Tickets are $10, at PartyTix.com.
• Chillwave pioneer Chaz Bundick, recording under the name Toro Y Moi, performs a more pop sound Sunday at The Urban Lounge, 241 S. 500 East, Salt Lake City. Opening acts: Sinkane, Dog Bite. Show starts at 9 p.m. Tickets are $15, at 24Tix.