Toddler dies in eastern Utah trailer fire
A 2-year-old child died Tuesday when flames destroyed a camp trailer in the eastern Utah community of Ballard.
Makaella Lee Hardman and her parents had been living in the trailer in the backyard of her grandparents' house at 509 N. 1500 East. Her grandfather, Tony Hardman, was alerted to the fire by his wife, and he rushed out to do what he could, but the fire was already out of control. He tried to fight it with an extinguisher and a garden hose, to no avail, said Roosevelt Fire Chief Lee Rockwood.
Rockwood said the fire was reported at 10:48 a.m. When crews arrived, the camp trailer was fully engulfed in flames.
Initially, firefighters were told that possibly two people were inside the trailer, but Rockwood said the child proved to be the only victim.
The state fire marshal determined the blaze was accidental, started by a spliced electrical cord, Rockwood said.
The family has set up a fund for donations at Zion's Bank under Makaella's name.